Rotted out 4" copper waste line

I agree that plastic is cheap. I can't quite picture the OP's layout from what he wrote. But, if the whole horizontal run is easily accessible, it could turn out to just be a 2 or 3 hour job to cut it out and replace it with PVC and Fernco fittings. A 2-3 hour job vs. a 12-16 hour job is a big difference. Changing the vertical lines and all of the connections to the various fixtures may be what accounts for the remaining 10 +/- hours of work. And, once the horizontal lines are done, deciding to do the vertical lines at a later date would basically be no different than doing them now. The OP said the plumber will do the job as time and materials. So, if the OP decides to just do the horizontal lines now, he will only get charged the time and materials for that part. He could just explain that he cannot afford to do the rest right now and decided to just do the horizontal lines for now as a start.

On the other hand, if the OP can afford it, and the plumber is ready to come and do the work, getting it all done at once would be nice. I just wanted to point out an alternative if money is a problem right now.

Reply to
RogerT

(snip)

Yeah, at the moment I can afford it. I just got the estimates for what my retirement will be if I walk out in July when I am eligible, and if I do, I won't feel nearly so well off then. Not whining, because I know people raise families on what my retirement income would be, but it definitely would be a learning curve while I changed my buying habits and lifestyle. Of course, with all the un- or under-employed relatives I have, I may need to keep setting my alarm clock awhile.

Reply to
aemeijers

better to pay to have it done now while you can better afford it than wait till later when your retired and dont have the bucks.

messing with the old lines may create new hassles.......

better to do the job right, do it once, then relax.

doing a half way job to save money will only drive up the entire jobs cost

Reply to
hallerb

I had a vetical line rot out directly below the tub drain, it was copper..... it brought down the cieling in the kitchen:(

so much for only long horizontal runs are a issue....

Reply to
hallerb

If you are in the U.S. and use American currency, it will cost somewhere between $1.00 and $20,000. It depends on what is needed, the economy, the cost of parts, the amount of labor, taxes, and how much the plumber needs to buy his wife a diamond ring and get himself a new cadillac. If there's any asbestos nearby, double those figures.

Reply to
jomama

I was able to make a good quick TEMPORARY repair to my 3 inch copper waste line from the toilet lead bend using a small piece or rubber cut from an ol d tire inner tube and two stainless steel hose clamps.

In my case, I had a drip from the bottom of the copper pipe adjacent to the toilet lead bend solder joint. I scraped it lightly with a screwdriver to reveal what appeared to be a tiny slot at the bottom of the pipe (leaked a lot more afterward). Naturally, the pipe was installed with NO pitch to a dequately empty the pipe after each use. I don't yet know how far along th e pipe additional corrosion exists, if any, but I am determined to wait unt il next spring before effecting a permanent repair.

Another good tip for working with old waste lines: Don't bite your fingern ails.

Reply to
gki