Roots in or out?

I'm digging in the front yard. The park management wants me to move the little two wheel trailer from the side yard to the driveway. This means expanding the driveway the size of one space.

Problem is, the space is near a tree, and there are a lot of roots. Should I take the roots out with axe and sawzall (some up to 4 inch diameter). Or leave the roots in, and let the gravel settle around the roots?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It depends on how many roots and how close to the tree. Don't laugh but I cut some tree roots to put in a sidewalk. The sidewalk was about three or four feet from the trunk of the tree. About five years later the damn tree had fallen over and was leaning against my deck railing. It fell away from where the roots were cut. My tree was about eight to ten inches in dia. Good luck.

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

If the only thing that will ever be there is the trailer, and it isn't heavily loaded, I'd let the roots be. Too much risk of killing the tree, otherwise. Since you said 'park', I'm assuming it is their tree, not yours. No overflow parking out back somewhere where you can leave the trailer when not in use? (With a suitable lock on the hitch, of course...)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

And what kind of tree. I cut 6-8 inch roots off one side of a

100yr old swamp maple with no ill effects. I wouldn't try it with an oak or pine tree in my part of the world.

Ask a local arborist- or try your local extension office.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Reply to
Granby

That's sobering thought. "away" is my neighbor on the other side. I don't much like him, anyway.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know if the park has a back lot, but it's a good idea. I'm going to call, tomorrow, and see what the park says about the roots. They might know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Very well worded. "cant", one of the def'n is tilt, or slope. "the tree cants a bit to the left". Not sure what it is, but it's not pine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon