Roofing Questions

I have a 25 year old cape style home in Massachusetts. I was cleaning the gutters recently (in the rain, naturally) when I noticed that the shingles seem to be saturated with water.

I'm guessing I've needed new shingles (roofing?) for a while? How can one tell? The house was built in 79, so it's 25 years old. Time for new shingles? Any advantages of any particular type or color? Can they shingle over the existing shingles?

The house is a cope type roof with one dormer.

36 X 28 house. Ideas on pricing? Any recommendations for good contractors in the north central Ma area?

Thanks Steve L Ashby Ma.

Reply to
SteveL

Saturated, while raining. I would think so. What kind of shingles? That matters. Check under the roof, in the attic. If there is no leak-through nor wet spots, or mold, you may be fine. Rarely can you go by "years" to determine timing of replacement, especially if there is no leaking, and shingle condition on top looks good. Recommend against shingling over shingles.

Reply to
Roger

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what kind of shingles they are, how do I tell? They are probably standard "contractor" shingles used in '79..

I don't have any leaking, but I have an insulated ceiling and I can't get at big parts of it, but it is not leaking through at all.

It is normal for the shingles to become saturated in heavy rain?

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Reply to
SteveL

I think they are standard brown asphalt Shingles. I seem to remember the contractor telling me they were '25 year' shingles... maybe what they were rated at by the manufacturer?

Maybe I don't need new shingles.

Reply to
SteveL

Shingles on the low end of a roof tend too look saturated when rained on, and that is not too definitive, but general appearance of asphalt shingles are a clue. If edges are curled (heat damage) on many shingles, and they are discolored or have lost their granulated surface, they may be thinning/weakening, and may need to be replaced even if no leaks evident inside.

Reply to
Roger