Roof Replacement Shingles--Certainteed Landmark 50?

I need to reroof my 37-year old house in the Blue Ridge mountains. Wind can be pretty fierce at times so I need something that will hold up and last. I was looking at the Certainteed Landmark 50 (293 lbs/square) as this tested fairly well in Consumer Reports in 2003 and Certainteed seems to have as good a reputation as anyone. Does anyone have any experience with this shingle? If I can't get this shingle, are there others that are comparable in performance? I'm under no illusion that a 50-year shingle will last 50 years, but if I can get 40 years I figure it'll be worth the difference in the total contract price from a 30-year shingle.

I was planning to have the roofer use 6 nails/shingle--any drawbacks to the integrity of the roof by using more nails than the standard?

Thanks.

Reply to
Justin

And, conversely, the other major manufacturers seen to have as good a reputation as Certainteed... :) On a comparable product, there really is little to choose imo. All make differing grades.

That's suggested for hurricane-prone regions. I'd suggest looking the recommended/FL-required installation details for wind resistance. Beyond Cat 1 wind levels would be quite rare in western VA, even up in the mountains based on experience from my time there (near Bedford, around Peaks of Otter area...excessive rain, otoh, is another aspect altogether (recalling Andrew, '69) ).

Reply to
dpb

Buy plenty of extras. Shingle styles change all the time and you will never have a chance to buy additional shingles.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Art Todesco

If you have a real wind problem, have you thought about a seamed metal roof instead of shingle? I noticed lots of seamed steel roofs while driving through central PA last weekend and I would assume for this reason. Plus, I find them more attractive to look at.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel