Oink

We have a pot belly pig "Ninja" who has terrible arthritis and we want

> to keep his outdoor pen/house warm this winter but we don't have electric > by his house and we don't want to use a space heater because > of the dangers of fire or gas inhalation.

LA is an easy climate for solar heat, with 1300 Btu/ft^2 of sun on a south wall on an average 56.8 F January day with an average daily min of 47.8.

But how much does Ninja weigh? The ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals says a W-pound animal has a basal metabolic rate of 6.6W^0.75 Btu/h, so a 50 pound pig would make 124 Btu/h.

He might keep his house 70 F on a 47.8 F night with his own heat output if 70 = 47.8 + 124/G, ie if its thermal conductance G = 5.6 Btu/h-F max. It might have a raised platform above the top of the entrance opening to trap warm air in the upper part like an igloo. If the upper part were

2'x2'x1' tall with 12ft^2 of surface, this would work if the walls and ceiling had a min 12/5.6 = 2.1 R-value... 1" R4 white beadboard should work fine, with plywood on both sides for Ninja and weather protection. A ramp from the platform down to the ground could allow Ninja to find a comfortable thermal level somewhere between them.

With a 1'x2' R1 flat polycarbonate north window and 10 ft^2 of R5 surface upstairs, G = 2+10/5 = 4, so Ninja might keep the air 70 F on a 70-124/4 = 39 F night. The HOF says winter temps are above 40 F 97.5% of the time and above 37 99% of the time, and a normally-active critter would generate

2.5 times more than basal heat, so with occasional shivers and rolls, Ninja might be comfy down to 70-2.5x124/4 = minus 4.4 F. NREL says LA has a 23 F 30-year record minimum temperature.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Personally I'd kill it and eat it.

Reply to
malc

ummmmm .... pork chops

Reply to
bill allemann

Mmmmmm Malc burgers. Do you have a problem with my solution?

Reply to
malc

How about a light buld controlled by a thermostat? Cheap solution, should work good. How come Ninja has a Pot Belly? Did he eat your stash? (Rump! Chink! Thanks! Dont forget to tip the bartenders!)

Reply to
BobG

Nick, I found one of your flooded floor cooling schemes, in fact it utilized condensate from an air conditioner, reflective white colours, however I still feel that it would most likely maintain comfort conditions suitable for amphibians with PMV=0

Abby Normal