Roof Question

The composition shingles on my 14 year old house need to be replaced. Is it necessary to remove the old shingles first, or can the new ones be installed over the old ones?

Thanks

Reply to
Patch

It's possible and a lot are done that way to save some money, but it's a foolish shortcut imo...

Why would you want to put a costly new material over old, failing material, causing almost certainly, a shorter lifetime of the new material you just spent good $$ for? Never make a lick of sense to me, but it's your roof...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

This is Turtle

Yes you can lay over old shingles but most people don't because of weight of them on the roof and some people in the roofing business say it will damage the new shingles in someway.

One ideal of this is the next time you recarpet you living room, lay the new carpet over the old and would you like it done that a way ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
ToddWiedeman

They say you can put up to 3 layers on a roof but why as another poster stated!

Reply to
twfsa

It depends a lot on the condition of the underlying layer...I personally still think it a false economy.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

14 years indicateds to me that the buiklder sure used the cheapest shingles available...

Anyhow... My dad (now deceased) ran a roofing company and our own home was done by not tearing the old shingles off... Dad was NOT cheap...and not afraid of doing a lot of work... I was only about 8-9 then and I remember his ONLY concern was the additional weight on the roof... IF I remember correctly the second layer held up for over 20 years before he tore both layes off and installed another roof...

When a roofing contractor does not bother to rip off the 1st layer on his own home.... I honestly have to say it is not needed...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.