roof patching with plastic film?

I assume something like this exists, but wonder where to get it, and if it should even be used for a roof patch.

We have a couple of sealed skylights that are letting in water when it rains heavily. The roof is ok otherwise.

I was wondering if it's possible to spray on or paint on some kind of liquid or gel that quickly cures into a continuous transparent plastic film that will get into the nooks and crannies of the shingles and around the skylights, and will adhere well to them.

It seems like that might be a way to quickly patch around the skylights and be pretty sure that the patch will seal wherever it is that the water is getting in.

Reply to
dave rangel

You get a can of roofing cement. It is a black tarry stuff that can be applied with a putty knife. Cover the edge of the window frame where it meets the shingles. A better solution is to remove and re-flash the skylights. How long since they were installed??

Reply to
Lawrence

You get a can of roofing cement. It is a black tarry stuff that can be applied with a putty knife. Cover the edge of the window frame where it meets the shingles. A better solution is to remove and re-flash the skylights. How long since they were installed??

Reply to
Lawrence

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Lawrence. I doubt any such quick fix will work. It might, if you can see exactly where the leaks are, and apply accordingly, but I think you'll be doing some careful 'excavating' first, and applying roofing/ flashing compound. Skylights are notorious for this, especially when poorly installed.

Reply to
Sev

They have caulking tubes of roof cement that will do the trick. Check your local builders store.

Reply to
DK

Wear disposable clothes and gloves while working with this stuff. ;-)

Reply to
Bert Byfield