Roach baits

I don't have roaches inside but see a dead one outside once in a great while. These are always American (large) roaches. So I keep roach baits in the house - Combat used to be the major manufacturer but now all I see is Raid brand. They come in two sizes - small (German) roaches or large. I have a hard time finding those for large roaches but those for small roaches are usually common.

Last time I needed a fresh supply I couldn't find the large roach size. A employee (owner I think) of the hardware store I see there most of the time said either size will work for either roach so I bought the small size.

What's been your experience? The big roaches can get through the smaller openings into the small baits to eat the poison?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Once we started treating the yard within 10 feet or so of the house with Triazicide granules, I have not seen a palmetto bug in or out of the house. I get the granules (spectracide) and use one of those little crank handle spreaders. Wear a respirator and take a good shower when you are done.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've not used roach baits in many years. However, being AHR, someone might suggest to enlarge the holes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Baits are just some kind of food and boric acid. Bacon grease would work fine or you could use crushed dry dog food.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hmm. Then their three month limit as effective baits is just for sales? They should last almost forever? Or maybe the food they use loses appeal after three months? Anyone know? (I'm a sucker for following directions.)

Reply to
KenK

I think they assume the food may be gone by then. I doubt roaches care if it is old, unless you are giving them plenty of fresh food to eat. Those European and Asian roaches can eat damn near anything. I am not sure if they communicate enough to avoid baits but I know ants will quickly figure out what is killing them and stop eating it. I haven't seen a sugar eating ant here in decades.

Reply to
gfretwell