Ring Around the Toilet

If you don't scrub/disinfect the toilet bowl often enough, a dark ring- bacteria, I assume- forms right around the top of the waterline.

Why there?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Can you speak English, you retarded dupe?

Reply to
Avila Kap

Minerals in the water will accumulate there as it is the shallowest portion. Could be some bacteria also. I imagine there is some explainable action of the water action and how it is fed too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As the water in the bowl evaporates, it leaves behind minerals. Some minerals are conducive to bacterial growth.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Right. The "evaporative edge" of the pond. The crusty build-up creates a zone of easy attachment, and ease of access to both water and air for opportunistic microbes. If there is iron coming into the bowl from your pipes, the build-up is sure to take on the color of rust (and possible kill some of the microbes).

Reply to
croy