Rheostat with a Gable Fan?

I have a gable fan that is very loud. I'd like to slow it down via a rheostat/potentiometer. Is this possible? Is it advisable? If so, can anyone suggest a rheostat that is adequate for the job?

TIA

Reply to
ToddP

It is going to depend on the type of motor used in the fan.

Don't try a light "dimmer". They are not designed for motor control.

Is it direct drive, or belt driven? If belt driven, you could change pulley sizes to change the speed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Many fractional HP motors can be controlled by a rheostat, similar to a light dimmer switch. Be sure you have one that can handle the HP of hte motor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Every AC motor that would be used in a gable fan that I have ever seen is fixed speed and determined by the freq of the AC source driving it. You can't slow it down by lowering the voltage with a rheostat, which wouldn't be very good idea to begin with. You;d just be dissipating energy as heat.

Either get a quiet new fan or maybe switch to a passive ridge vent system.

Reply to
trader4