Restoring damaged kitchen table base

Hi, I received a kitchen table for free. Very sturdy. But the base has some damage that looks maybe like pet damage, i.e. chewing. Can anyone suggest how to patch this up WITHOUT being an eyesore? I know trying to make it whole is impractical because wood filler will never take a (best guessed) stain like some Minwax or other name brand. I wouldn't mind sanding out the damage, living with the "section loss" and just dabbing on my best guess of stain, but not sure if that will look even worse. How would you approach this? Recommendations appreciated.

Photos here:

Regards, Theodore

Reply to
milli...

I'd sand it down where damaged and get a close matching stain. Fixing the missing part would look worse.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've never used it for somethign this big, but I've had amazing** results with Old English scratch cover. It only comes in two colors, brown and blond -- I guess on scratches difference in color doesn't matter, but otoh it's more liquidy than minwax stain, and maybe it soaks in better.

I guess there is no hidden place where you can test your technique.

**I wouldn't use the word amazing unless I was amazed.

Yes, after a while no one will notice it and if one does, it will seem like damage you did yourself which feels somehow better than something damaged earlier.

Reply to
micky

Would something like this be an option?

Dean Hoffman

Thanks Dean, and all others, for these suggestions. I greatly appreciate it!!

Reply to
milli...