REQ: Help patching oven

My mom (77 years old) has a 50 year old frigidaire electric stove that she

loves. I replaced the element about 10 years ago, but the bottom of the oven > now has some rusted through spots on it. The largest spot is about the size > of a pencil and the other 2 or 3 are about the size of a BB. She does not > want to take the stove out since it works fine otherwise and really looks > cool. > Is there any thing that I can use to putty the holes up in the enameled > steel that will resist the heat of the oven. Color doesn't matter since > this is under the element and doesn't show. I figure that there must be > some kind of epoxy or heat proof plaster that I could use . the total area > is smaller than my palm. Anyone know where I can get something to fix this > with? > >
Reply to
sixguys3

Try Mcmaster.com

Part# 7648T11

Use this with a piece of stainless steel.

Reply to
HB2

jbweld marinetex

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

You don't say how close together these holes are, but you might be able to screw or rivit a steel patch over them. You could paint the patch with some paint such as they use on exhaust systems, but be careful any toxic residue it might have.

You could also try patching them with some of that exhaust patch material they sell at the auto parts store. But again, watch the toxic residue.

Reply to
mwlogs

Thanks everyone for the help I will try the patch material--I use jb weld for lots of stuff but I kinda doubt it would hold up to high temperature in oven what do you guys think? "> > marinetex

Reply to
sixguys3

marinetex can be used on engine blocks and exhaust pipes.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

And it's off gassing won't be harmful to the people eating the Christmas turkey cooked in the oven afterward? Putting it on a engine block or muffler is one thing but...

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

And it is stupid to use patching compound on something that is just light sheet metal. Just covering the bottom with another piece of light sheet metal, even if one didn't screw it down, would be a far simpler and a better option.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon