Replacing window that is next to meter

I need to replace a window that is right next to the power meter for my house. The meter is about 18 to 24" away from the window.

Is there something that I need to make sure of before removing the window or cutting into the siding? Is the meter mounted on something that would otherwise prevent me from cutting the siding? Should I contact the power company before doing this in the off chance I hit the cables? Or, is this no big deal and I can effectively treat the meter like I would an external outlet?

Reply to
Eigenvector

Don't treat the meter like an outlet but otherwise cutting siding and replacing the window isn't a big deal.

Reply to
Meat Plow

My panel is, again, about 18 to 24" from the window on the interior - so basically the meter is on one side of the wall and the panel is on the other.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I wasn't sure if the meter was mounted to the plywood sheathing on a plate or some sort of protective box. I'm also not totally sure how the meter and the panel are connected. The power lines connect in through the roof directly above the meter.

I'm assuming that the panel is framed with 2x4's and the window is obviously (I HOPE!!) framed with 2x4's so everything should be isolated from each other. It's not like I plan on cutting the plywood sheathing, rather just the siding, but you never know ... I'd hate to find out something nasty while holding a circular saw standing on a metal scaffolding.

Reply to
Eigenvector

That far away there should certainly be a full length stud beyond the window, but if there's any question, investigate before just cutting...

I would expect there to be a full sheet of ply in each corner as the stress membrane simply cut for the window opening and the meter to be mounted to it. If I had reason to suspect otherwise, as noted, I'd do the demolition carefully enough to be sure first.

But, in general, from the description sounds like _should_ be no problem.

--

Reply to
dpb

Why don't you cut the window out from the inside using a reciprocating saw? Remove the interior molding and zip away.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Sometimes there may be a metal bracket or strap behind the meter and/or somewhere on the conduit to hold it to the wall, this may extend out the sides so that it can be anchored. I would go slow with using a circular saw blindly on the wall until I was sure what was under that siding. Normally to remove a window you don't need to do heavy cutting. You remove the casing on the inside and then cut any nails or screws that anchor it into the frame, then you take it apart in pieces because there is normally a flange or a "brick mould" that is fastened to the outside of the sheathing either under the siding or next to it with nails and/or screws into the frame.

Reply to
EXT

I'm curious. You have to stand on scaffoldign to reach the window which is next to the meter? How did the electric company read the meter? Before there was radio-reading of meters.

Reply to
mm

Yeah, that's right, the panel is just right below the meter, probably less than 4 inches under it vertically.

Sounds like I'm clear then.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Binoculars?? I would imagine they stood on the porch, but realistically there isn't a good place for someone to stand and read it. My house is on some pretty steep sloping land and the meter is about 8 feet in the air.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Normally I adjust my saw so that it only cuts as deep as the siding or slightly below it. Realistically I wouldn't have a problem here anyway, I'm not intending on penetrating the plywood but I've just never fooled around in the area surrounding a meter.

Reply to
Eigenvector

That's really why I asked. It's one of those things where nothing should go wrong, but if something does - it'll go south fast. I'm not expecting trouble though.

Reply to
Eigenvector