Replacing squirrel cage fan

I have an old 1959 bathroom fan that doesn't work anymore. In fact it didn't work since before I owned the house. I'd like to replace it, but I notice that the hole for it is circular and the fan vents into the attic so far as I can tell.

So if I slice this puppy out, am I looking at enlarging the hole and making it square, as well as installing vent to the outside world? Or are there fans out there that will fit the hole? It's a 10" hole right now.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:FImdnVL7KevStKnYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Is it drywall? Is it textured?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Just painted drywall.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:hoednX-vY7wl16nYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Well at least you can patch & paint the ceiling at worst.

I put in a small bath fan and the square housing hole was like 7 x/x" square. Maybe for the larger (more cfm) ones it's larger. Maybe just a more powerful motor.

There's: "Download Ventilation Fan Catalog (.pdf)" from NuTone at

Probably has the hole spec for them. Just a guess though.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I would plan on the larger hole and larger vent piping. Small vents = loud vents. Look around for a nice quiet vent fan and go from there. They will tend to cost more, but they will be a lot easier to live with and usually last longer.

BTW good catch on the venting to the attic. That is a good way of causing some expensive damage if you don't vent it to the outside.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I found a reasonable site for those kinds of things. I've never used the I-net for ordering home repair stuff, so I'm not sure what I'll get. But for a decent one it looks like I'll have to drop about 150 to $200.

Reply to
Eigenvector

That is about right.

Reply to