Replacing garbage disposal

local authorities have banned the use as well as the replacement of existing units, and doesn't allow any new installations!

Reply to
Rob Mills

We have no ban on using disposers, so there's no problem.

Reply to
montana

You can easily damage the sink...or its seal on the counter top...if yer not careful. Its not easy to determine the upward pressure when yer usin' a jack.

Just stack the disposal on books, etc...so that its close to the top. Then lift it the final inch or so.

It should only take a second or so to make the final installation.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

They have companies that can pump yer tank when its full. This will happen eventually no matter WHAT you put in the septic tank. The little bit of garbage that goes in there shouldn't be a problem.

That said...septic tank OFTEN means rural...and we never put garbage down the drain when I lived in the country. Peelings, etc. usually went to feed SOME animal...or in a compost pile. lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

I realize they can be pumped, and that a little garbage should not be a problem. I am trying to get to the bottom of why the person who installed my system was emphatic that a disposal should not be installed.

Yup, it's rural, but not a farm. I think my neighbors would frown on my keeping livestock. :-) I might do a compost pile eventually, but first I need to do some clearing, too many trees for a garden.

You too.

Reply to
C G

Probably just personal opinion and/or prejudice. Ask him.

When I lived in the country, garbage collection...my own responsibility, with a private company...was expensive. So putting out things in the garbage that wasn't absolutely necessary wasn't an option.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Reply to
Trent©

I did and he would not budge. Looking for other opinions.

I pay a flat rate per quarter so it matters not whether things go down the drain or in the can. The issue is purely one of convenience, and more importantly, to placate a whining wife :-)

Thanks.

Should be, wife and baby are returning home today after being gone, visiting family, since October 18th.

Reply to
C G

For what's it worth...I sell disposers as part of my job and I asked the Insinkerator representive about disposers and septic systems a couple of weeks ago. His answer was that there is absolutely no reason not to use one with a system system. He cautioned not to ever pour grease down any sink. He also said to always run COLD water when using the disposer as hot water will cause any fats in the food to emulsify and coat the pipes, whereas, cold water will make the fats form globules and go down the pipes without sticking. I can't see any reason why putting food waste down a sink disposer would be much different than running it through our bodies first, other than much more sanitary.

Reply to
Tom

Thanks, this is the kind of alternate opinions I was looking for. I knew fat should not be poured down the drain, but never thought of running cold water instead of hot.

Reply to
C G