Replacing, enlarging, plus adding windows to brick home -- suggestions please...

Hi all,

My home was built in the early 80's during the energy crisis, so the windows in the bedrooms and living room are very small -- about 34" tall - and way high. I want to remove these windows and replace them with longer windows to let in more light in plus allow better breeze when the windows are all open.

My home is brick, which would require cutting the brick, so this is a task better left to the pros. Can someone give ideas on cost for decent windows and the cost to have them installed? This will probably be paid for with income-tax return, so I don't want to call any contractors too soon. I mainly am looking for ballpark prices right now.

In all, I have two windows that are 34" tall by 68" wide, one is 34" by 34", and I also have a wall with no window which I want a window installed. The way my house is designed I also have two front-facing windows, one 34"x34" and one 34"x68" that can't be replaced due to them being built into a window-box frame. I might also get these replaced just so they match the other windows.

I'm betting replacing replacing 6 windows won't be cheap -- windows nor labor, but I'm planning on being in this home for the long haul, so want to do it right. I'd like to think I can do this for under $1500, but i bet that's way too low of an estimate since I'd like to use double-pain vinyl windows.

Anyone gone through a similar project? Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Alex

1500.00 won't get the brickwork removed for 2 windows, supplied/enlarged/installed, and brickwork restored.

You can keep costs down by choosing replacement new construction windows sold in standard sizes that do not require a wider rough opening than your current windows. Not having to rebuild exterior stud walls and replace narrow headers is a big time & money saver.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

You're right, it is way too low. The only way you will get a 'ball park figure' is to call some contractors and have them bid it. You don't need to wait for a refund. No money is in jeopardy until you actually sign a contract.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

About 20 bucks over the cost of the window and a lintel if you do it yourself. You can cut brick with a circular saw and a blade made for cutting masonry. Dirty job, but it can be done. Then you frame the opening and install the window.

Be sure there is nothing in the wall before you cut the opening. No plumbing, wiring, heat ducts. You will have some interior framing to do once you cut a stud or three.

Yes, I've done it a couple of times. I don't know your skill level but you may be able to do some of the work to keep costs down. It must be done right to avoid structural problems though. Unless you get proper guidance, call a pro.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski