Replacing bathroom water fixtures

I have 3 taps almost 3' above the tub.. Hot, cold and diverter . Of course they are installed behind nice square tiles. I would like to replace those 3 with a solitary round unit which is pretty common place these days. I am not a plumber, but does anyone know if its a DIY job? For one, I would be really careful in removing the least amount of tiles where they are located.

Reply to
Anthona

Tear out the wall on the opposite side. You will not be able to work from the tile side to do the pipe work required.

If it's not practical to get to the opposite side, then plan on re-tiling that wall (at a minimum).

In any event, you'll have to replace a couple of tiles where 2 of the controls were, unless a giant "goof" plate to cover over it all suits you.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Well it will mean removing a number of those tile and trying to replace them so they will not be noticed and to replace at least two tile with new tile to match. Do you have or can you find matching tile? Do you want to retile the whole thing? Do you have access from behind the plumbing fixtures?

How handy are you? I would guess from your question that I would suggest having it done. If you make an error you could end up with a leak in the wall. That is not a good thing. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Saw Rich Trethewy {sp?} from TOH do just this upgrade and he did use a giant "goof" plate that did not look bad at all. I would search around for this plate or just go to a real plumbing store and have the guy get you one off the shelf in the back room. Much easier than trying to replace a few tiles and have it look nice.

Reply to
RayV