Replacing a wall switch that supplies power to a wall outlet

[snip]

16AWG cords are marked for 13A, but I try to not use more than 10A through it for more than a short time (because the wires get hot).

BTW, The little 5000BTU A/C I helped a friend install Thursday uses

4.7A. However, no extension cord was needed.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Even some cords with "leakage detection". Apparently, this thing that looks like a GFCI is supposed to cut off if your dog chews on the cord.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Don't they make toggle relays? Those would work with just 2 wires (alternating on/off with each current pulse).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Sure glad I'm not YOUR homeowner's insurance carrier, Claudio....

Reply to
The Postman

That's how a ratchet relay works, but this is a system designed by GE, and uses cylindrical latching relays that have an on circuit and an off circuit

Reply to
RBM