Replacing a tire - on a measuring wheel

I have an old Mianco measuring wheel, found it cheap at a yard sale. It turns out they're still available and very expensive now. I use it a lot, for measuring disc golf drives, sports field setups, etc.

The rubber tire is cracked everywhere and obviously decades old. Everything still works and I guess i don't really need to replace it, but I'd like to.

To my surprise I can't find anything on Google or Youtube. Harbor Freight will sell me a new complete wheel for $10, but I want to renovate the old one. Ideas?

It looks like this:

TimR

It looks like a big O ring. Would a kid's tricycle tire work? Maybe a piece of heavy hose glued to the wheel would work. Fill it with some sort of expandable foam to make the hose size consistent. Do you have a way to recalibrate the wheel? Measure off 100' or so on flat ground with a tape measure. Then give the wheel a run to see how close it is.

Reply to
Dean

Specs:

Height of wheel 3’ 10”, wheel diameter 11.5”

Huh ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Have you tried using your cell phone? I tested mine once in our farmyard. It was pretty close to real world measurements taken with a tape measure. I've used both tape measures and lasers to measure fields. The drawback to a laser is it doesn't show the added distance of going into a a draw and then back up a hill.

Reply to
Dean

The device is called a "mwasuring wheel" The "device" is 46 inches long. The wheel of the device is 11.5 inches in diameter. I am sure you COULD make a new tire for it, but I'm doubly sure it would cost youi considerably more than $10!!!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'm guessing the length to the trigger but unless the perspective is really off that doesn't look right either.

Reply to
rbowman

Find a source of rubber or neoprene "rod" of the correct diameter, cut a suitable length at an 45 degree angle, glue the 2 angled ends together with super glue, then stretch it over the wheel. Super glue works really good on rubber. They sell kits with a special angled cutter and rolls of rubber to make functional o-rings.

Reply to
Bob F

The wheel is 11 inches in diameter. From top of handle to bottom of wheel is a distance of 44 inches. The "tire" looks more like a flat belt. It extends only 1/8th inch past the rim. I can't tell the profile without pulling it out and I don't want to break it. It might be flat on top and some other shape underneath. It is badly cracked and worn shiny. I'm surprised it doesn't slip but it matches my 100 foot tape measurements.

I have a laser rangefinder. It is very useful if you can get a good reflection, not always possible. When I hunted (those days are long past) I would get good known distances from my stand. I don't trust cell phones at all in the woods or where the GPS doesn't get enough of a lock.

Reply to
TimR

So why not just use it as it is?

Reply to
Bob F

How could I do that?

Reply to
micky

Look under utilities on your home screen. It would probably be best if you experimented with it or asked Mr. Google. My explanations wouldn't measure up.

Reply to
Dean

I emailed the vendor. I can get a new tire for $45 USD or a new wheel with tire for $140. They recommended the wheel as opposed to scraping out the old plastic and installing the new. Compared to the complete measuring wheel at $427 that's a bargain, but compared to the $10 HF cheapie maybe not.

Reply to
TimR