Replacing wheelbarrow wheel

I'm fed up getting punctures in the pneumatic tyre, so am looking for a solid one to fit. The wheel is 14" diameter and fits between two flanges, where it is held in place with 2 bolts that fit into the threaded spindle. What is needed to get a standard solid tyred wheel to fit?

Reply to
Broadback

I bought some solid tyred wheels in, if I remember correctly, either B&Q or Homebase. I think I had to bodge them to fit, but it wasn't difficult.

Reply to
Huge

Why not use one of the polyurethane foam fire and forget puncture repair kits on it? They are pretty disastrous for their claimed purpose but should be OK on a wheelbarrow. Otherwise pay a visit to your local farming supplies shop to find wheels of most sizes and types.

Be sure to measure how wide it can be as well!

Reply to
Martin Brown

I think Northern Tools do these too, also good old eBay.

Some bodging likely required. Fairly obviously, ones with rolling element bearings will give you lower friction, but I have one bodged plastic barrow now using an old steel wheel (from a builders' barrow) which just runs on a plain steel shaft. It is pretty squeaky but not particularly hard to push.

Reply to
newshound

Martin Brown put finger to keyboard:

This.

Just don't push it at over 50mph afterwards though.

Reply to
Scion

I tried these and found them useless. I also tried filling the wheelbarrow tyres with the green gloop you can buy for that purpose, and that was pretty useless, too. I ended up buying solid tyres. I just wish I could get them for the ride-on lawnmower.

I'm never having blackthorn hedging again.

Reply to
Huge

Dunno but I need one as my solid tyre has split and fallen off the wheel!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

and what about those plastic bits on the handles, do they sell those as well? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You will find a solid tyre much harder to push. Esp. on rough ground. I have a pneumatic tyre wheel barrow & all I ever need is a bit of air now and then.

Reply to
harryagain

I wish someone was still making those Dyson Ballbarrows.

Given the amount of rain we've had, that football-sized tyre is ideal.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Thanks for the replies and ideas. As I was not certain if on purchasing a sold tyred wheel it would fit I went down the slimy road. This I have done, so I will see. Of course having done the slime job I found the exact replacement on the internet, still I will keep that for if the slime slides off!

Reply to
Broadback