hvave your model number & serial number available
I have found this website to be very useful for parts & info, I've
bought dozens of aplliance parts, they all have been the correct part,
came in a few days. They a very efffective "part finder" system if you
don't have the exact P/N.
I've been a DIY for over 40 years (replaced my first dryer heater
element when I was 11)
If you are at all mechanically inclined & have a reasonable set of
tools, a DIY dryer motor will be a snap. If the dryer location is
"close quarters" that will be the most trouble.
Dryers are pretty simple beasts.
last dryer repair I did, I got a generalized repair manual just as
here's an example
Dryer repair manual for
Whirlpool - Sears - Kenmore - Kitchen Aid - Roper -
Estate large capacity dryers. Gas or electric. Revision H (copyright
Hey bob, Duane and Pat.... Fairly new to the appliance repair ballgame
yes - Unplugging it is certainly good advice - sorry was a little
punchy with only one cup of coffee this morning. I am 95% sure it is
the motor. Symptoms are this: Dryer runs and heats then cuts off in
mid cycle. Depends on how big the load as to how quick or not so quick
it cuts off. Once it cuts off, it will not come back on for usually a
while. The bigger the load - the quicker the cutoff. My little theory
was that the motor is going bad, heating up and the thermal switch was
opening and cutting the motor off. After the motor has had a chance to
cool - it comes back on. Also as a side feature, last night there was
an odd grinding noise when I turned it on. Again - guessing the motor
is going going gone. Sound like I am in the ball park?
As for the model number etc. - It is a Kenmore model 110.96593230. I
have purchased the motor from Sears Parts and intend to swap it out
Sound like I am close?
Also, thanks for tips!!
My first thought, as well. Before spending $ on a new motor, I'd field-strip
the TOP of the sucker, and clean out all the lint. The internal lint air
path is often leaky, and full of snags. Managed to bring a dead dryer back
to life that way once- the Whole Damn Cabinet was packed with lint, such
that the air had noplace to go, and the thing overheated in minutes. Once
all that was removed, it worked fine.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.