Replacement window trim

I'm going to try and replace the original windows in my 30-year old home, on my own, with vinyl replacement windows - I'm going to try doing one in the back of the house, see how it goes, and either pay someone to do the rest or finish the rest myself. I'll be using the Lowes \\ HD vinyl replacement windows.

Two questions:

1 - Once the replacement windows are in, do I have to use exactly the same size trim? The existing trim is ripped something-or-other - I'd rather use standard sized pieces.

2 - Should I use treated lumber or untreated lumbar?

I'm going to have the entire house repainted after I finish the windows.

Thanks!

Reply to
Texas Yankee

the replacement windows from HD or Lowe's pop in from the inside of the house; it sounds as if you think they go in from the outside if you're talking about replacing the exterior trim. they insert from the inside and butt up against the trim on the outside. to insert the windows, you need to take off the trim on the inside (there's only a few pieces), then take out the window sashes. i would use a utility knife to cut thru the paint where the trim meets the wall. i found that measuring is the hardest part, the other stuff is easy; your first window might take 2 hrs, the 2nd 1 hr, and the rest a half hour. installation from HD doubles the price, so it's better to do it yourself.

Reply to
davidmc

New windows without good flashing may not be a good idea.

Visit

or Andersen window site and download their instruction to see how windows need to be installed.

Reply to
Art