Replace 3-way switches with timer

Hi,

I have a rental building with two separate entrances to the basement laundry room. Each entrance has a light switch to turn on the light in the basement. The problem is the tenants never turn off the lights. I would like to replace these two switches with a timer switches that would shut itself off after some fix amount of time.

All the timer switches I have seen are for single pole and for a few that support 3-way wiring but It was not clear to me that I can use two timer switches on a circuit. If there is such a product, please let me know the brand and model number.

Thanks,

CT

Reply to
Chris

Yes, use two timer switches on the same Hot circuit from a single breaker. That way either switch, or both switches, can be on and 'ticking'. You must make sure that the same hot (black) and neutral (white) supplies both switches. The output of both switches connect to the light fixture 'hot' side.

Reply to
lee h

Or a motion sensor

Reply to
ransley

That will work as described, but if timer A is ON it won't let a conciencious tenant turn the lights OFF from the timer B locatiuon, would it?

That's probably better than leaving the light on "forever", so if you can live with that minor inconsistancy, do so.

I agree that a motion detector is the better way to go.

If the laundry room is small enough you can probably get by with just one near the center of the ceiling.

You could then remove the existing swiches, splice the switch wiring appropriately, put blank covers where the switches were, and Bob's yer uncle.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Can you install a motion switch that will "see" the doorways?

Reply to
George

In addition to the timer switch or motion detector, I'd strongly recommend a couple of low wattage CFL bulbs to avoid tenants suddendly being dropped in darkness. With two twenty watt CFLs on continually, you're looking about a dime per day for electricity. Far cheaper than a lawsuit resulting from personal injury? Perhaps with this 'background' light, you'd need only a single timer?

A former employer installed a motion detector switch for the employee restrooms. The restrooms were in an interior hallway with no light from outside. It was disconcerting to be sitting in a stall on the 'throne' and have a normally bright room plunge into darkness. And waving a hand around inside the stall wouldn't trigger the motion switch. Had to open the stall door and close it to restore the light.

Reply to
lee h