Repairing Scratches on a TV Screen?

Any suggestions to remove scratches from a TV screen (not the CRT)? A friend must have transported her TV with the face on something mildly abrasive, and it created a spot a few inches square on the screen.

Reply to
W. Watson

What about this stuff they advertize on TV to remove scratches in eye glasses, do a google search on removeing scratches in eye glasses.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

if it's plastic, look up micromesh, or even some of the very fine car polishes.

if it's glass, good luck. if the scratch is large enough to catch a fingernail, it can't be polished out with distorting the view through it.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

---------- Try this. Lots of products out there:

Abe

If the screen is plastic, try this stuff. It fixed scratches on my black plexiglass refrigerator door quickly and easily. Worked great! I actually sent them an endorsement that is posted somewhere on the site.

Note: I'm not affiliated with the company in any way except as a customer.

Reply to
Tom Miller

I've got to ask. If it is not the CRT, what is it?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Use a metal polish BRASSO to smooth out as much of the scratches as you can. When done apply Future Wax a liquid acrylic floor polish. It will fill out the scratches to even out the optical properties. Its like applying a thin film of water. You won't notice the scratches if the patch is wet. Test first by rubbing a piece of glass on some fine sanpaper to create the scratches, Then try the restore method described,

Reply to
PaPaPeng

some tvs have a plastic screen in front of the actual picture viewing screen. it's replacable, but expensive.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

If it's old enough, it might actually have a "safety glass" in front of the CRT, before they figured out how to build CRT's that didn't need them.

I started working in a TV repair shop circa 1951, and every "big" set I saw back then had a flat piece of safety glass in front of the CRT face.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

P.S. If it is glass, J.C. Whitney, the auto parts company has a kit containing a wide felt buffing wheel you can stick in an electric drill along with some cerium oxide polishing powder.

I bought one last summer to remove fine scratches caused by running a busted wiper blade over a car's windshield. It worked great, but wasn't the fastest job in the world, you have to be carefull not to build up so much heat in one spot that the grlass cracks from thermal strain.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Maybe it is the CRT. Dunno. I figured it might have some other plate in front of it. It's a friend's TV, and I've never seen it. I called and asked. She tapped it with a key and it sure sounded like glass.

Reply to
W. Watson

The TV's CRT vacuum tube itself is very thin glass. All TV sets have a safety glass layer infront. The TV sets since the 80s have conformal safety glass over the CRT. So don't worry about working on it so long as you are not going to hit it with a hammer.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Yeah, and that glass is seriously strong. A long time ago, I used toothpaste to clear some scratches from one.

Reply to
Michael Baugh