repairing driveway concrete

My Mom's driveway has what looks like a top layer of cement coming off in one place. It's not so much a hole but looks like they put a smooth top layer of "fine" concrete over "rough" concrete if this makes any sense.

I found this web page; does anyone else have experience with this and does this latex cement look like what I need. Thanks.

(scroll down to 'step #5' on the web page)

Frankston

Nice link.

Are you sure you want to try and repair that concrete? If I am correct it is a common problem usually cased by a poor mix, improper working of the concrete when it was installed or salt damage during the first year. I know of no long term fix, other than replacing it, that would work and not look worse than it does now. I had the problem with my home 12 years ago. It scaled the first year. Today it has not done any more and it is solid.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The latex cement I used in the past took a long time to dry and doesn't stick that well - maybe a bad batch and/or my finishing technique. Color doesn't match and looks like a patch.

I much prefer the concrete refinisher - sticks well and could go in as thin as one grain of sand. Color match is still a challenge but you could refinish the whole driveway with this stuff.

Reply to
Kim

Thanks for the tips, I had not heard of concrete refinsher, I will search around for it. Even if the color didn't match, I think any repair would look better than it does now. Note to anyone in central Texas: don't buy a Bill Milburn house. I wish this was the only problem we've seen.

Reply to
Frankston

checkout the step by step demo:

and here's 431 hits on quikrete concrete resurfacer:

Kim