Repairing a Busbar

I would love to replace my old zinsco panel but the problem is it's embedded in concret. It's a pedestal with power coming from the street.underground. I can't even replace if I wanted because of current building codes. I got a quote of about 15k to go overhead and install a new 200 amp service which I can't afford. So I'm thinking the only option I have is to try and repair the old one. The busbar needs to be replaced along with all the breakers. The other problem is getting someone to do it. I've called several electricians and got only one to come out and he took a look, said he get back with me but never did. I think I could do the repair if I can find parts. Any ideas.

Reply to
ldhope

Hey there! It sounds like you're having trouble finding someone to repair your zinsco panel and you're considering doing it yourself. While it's always a good idea to hire a licensed electrician for any electrical work, there are some steps you can take to try and find the parts you need.

Identify the parts you need - In order to repair your busbar and breakers, you'll need to identify the specific parts you need. This may require taking a closer look at the panel to determine the make and model of the components.

Search for parts online - Once you know what parts you need, you can search online for suppliers that carry them. Some good places to start include Amazon, eBay, and specialty electrical supply stores.

Check with local electrical suppliers - You may also want to check with local electrical supply stores to see if they carry the parts you need. They may also be able to special order parts for you if they don't have them in stock.

Consider purchasing a used panel - If you're having trouble finding the parts you need, you may want to consider purchasing a used zinsco panel that can be cannibalized for parts. However, it's important to note that zinsco panels have been known to be problematic and are no longer approved for installation by most building codes.

Remember, when it comes to electrical work, safety should always be your top priority. If you're not comfortable working with electricity or you're not sure how to repair the panel, it's best to hire a licensed electrician to do the work for you.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

Does the code in your area allow you to do electrical work in your place? I think it would be ok in most areas if it's a single dwelling house. Could you leave the existing panel in place and mount another one beside it as a sub panel? You'd leave the existing one in place with just the main shutoff switch.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

At first I thought, genius! Really the only sensible way to do it.

And then I thought, yeah but. Every circuit conductor is going to be one inch too short to reach the new panel. Murphy's law.

Reply to
TimR

I did a quick search for the Zinsco panels. It looks like they were popular but have a higher than average failure rate. Maybe that would sway things your way if some sort of electrical code issues come up. I don't suppose you could just put a new panel inside the frame of the existing Zinsco panel.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Sounds like a great idea. Isn't everything removeable from the box? And if there's no room in the insert for all the breakers that are needed, install a small panel and then a sub-panel next to it.

**Yes to your first comment. When you enter Zinsco breaker panels into the google search box, the first google suggestion is Which Zinsco panels are unsafe !!!
Reply to
micky

"If you're replacing the Zinsco electrical breakers, you'll first need a retrofit kit. Eaton Corporation, Cutler-Hammer Products have patented Zinsco Sylvania Electrical Panel Retrofit Kits available. They replace the interior of the aging Zinsco panel. "

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Scott Lurndal

That looks like a lot better solution than any of the Macgyver fixes I'd thought of.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There are Zinsco products that don't suck?

Retrofit looks interesting. It may make the job interesting for an electrician. One question is whether the service wires are long enough.

Cutler Hammer has some other interesting stuff. I think it was CH that had breakers that could be used in SquareD QO panels.

Reply to
bud--

Circuit conductors (but not service conductors) can be extended if the connection is accessible.

Reply to
bud--

It would be nice to have a photo. The OP says it's embedded in concrete.

Can you splice neutral and ground conductors too?

Reply to
TimR

I don't understand why you would put a panel in concrete, or how to get underground conductors to it. Must be a meter somewhere. But it is homemoaners hub - is it real?

Yes

Reply to
bud--

When the wall was poured, pvc conduit (and likely the box itself) is pre-installed in the formwork.

I've seen it in commercial environments, not in residential.

Always a good question.

Carefully, using NEC approved devices and methods and watching for issues such as dissimilar conductor materials (Al vs. Cu, for example). Twist and tape won't cut it. Wago connectors are a suitable choice for that type of extension with a convenient form factor and neat installation.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Far as I know wire nuts are still the dominant connectors for relatively small wires.

The best connector I know of for relatively small aluminum wires is AlumiConn.

Reply to
bud--

Wagos and the like are dominent in commercial and industrial wiring for applications in which wirenuts were common. Makes for a neater and safer job.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal