Removing window labels

I just bought a new window for our porch. The window was fine, but the damn label they put on it was a major pain to remove. I had to spend an hour pulling, scraping, and using a sharp blade to scrape off the glue. If I had replaced all the windows in the house, I would be calling the manufacturer and telling them to send one of their employees to remove the labels for me (at their cost). I have 16 windows, and 16 hours of labor to remove their labels is not something I am willing to do because there is no reason they need to glue these things onto the glass. They could have just inserted the paper between the panes. These labels serve no purpose anyhow, except to advertise themselves. The instructions are pretty useless.

If I ever do replace all my windows, I already plan to order a custom order WITHOUT any glued labels. It seems that everything we buy these days either has some paper glued to it, or the stuff is enclosed in a clamshell plastic thing that needs a chainsaw to open. As a consumer, I am always ready to fight back when they do stupid things like this. Monday I will be calling their 800 number and raising hell. I plan to tell them my hourly wage that I earn, and that I expect them to pay me that anount for the hour I spent removing their damn label. It's too bad more people dont complain about things like this, if they did, maybe we'd start to see some changes. Apparently these companies hire idiots to design their labels and the glue used to attach them.

Reply to
nobody

Odd. I have found that they come right off if I remove them right away, but they get "welded on" by baking in the sun. What brand of windows were they?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

They should use a couple of strips of fugitive glue, sometimes called "booger glue". That's the stretchy peelable stuff that's used to stick special covers onto magazines and coins onto charity appeal letters.

For some silly reason I've the same feeling about auto dealers slapping their own dealership's name on the trunk of a brand new car I buy from them. I make a point of having the salesman note that on the paperwork, ans since I started doing that about 30 years ago, the've all followed through.

I've never had the cajones to ask a car salesman,"How much will you take off the price as an "advertising fee" discount if I let you stick your place's name on my new car?"

I've found that a little mineral spirits (paint thinner) on a wad of rag works pretty well to remove most labels from smooth surfaces like glass and baked on enamel paint.

If the label has a glazed surface, scratch it up a bit with a razor blade scraper or even a sharp paring knife and daub the mineral spirits on. Go away for 15 minutes, then come back and see how much easier it will be to get the label off by scraping with the edge of a credit card, then getting the glue off with mineral spirits.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Did you try Goo Gone. It always works for me.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri