Removing linoleum for tiling - what about the stuff stuck to the floor?

I am removing old linoleum and will use thinset to adhere Hardibacker to the plywood floor. How uptight do I need to be about scraping up all the gray papery stuff that is stuck to the floor? See the following image to see what I am finding stuck to the plywood:

Adam

If you are going to apply hardibacker, you could have left the vinyl in place.

You can moisten the paper backing and scrape it off more easily, let the floor dry out, then stick the HB with your thinset, but....

I would leave the stuff in place, use your thinset (I actually use construction adhesive for this, as it is stronger and self shimming if you use PL400 or equivalent) to stick it down and fasten with screws.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Robert gave you a good answer. You don't need to worry about the backing left on the floor.

It can be removed with a floor scraper (4 inch or 6 inch replaceable razor blades).

DanG

In fact, the thinset used underneath hardibacker or any other CBU for that matter is not an adhesive. It is merely to fill any valleys so that the CBU has even support. I would NOT use construction adhesive. You use unmodified thinset applied with a 1/4" notched trowel and use the screws they recommend making sure you do NOT catch a joist.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby_M