Removing ceramic tiles in the kitchen (to lay floorboards)

Hi all,

laid on concrete, with a solid glue of some sort I presume, tried with a hammer and chisel and forget it!

What is the way to do this properly and most efficiently?

The size of the kitchen is about 15 ft x 15 ft and the tiles are largish, about 1 ft x 1 ft.

Thanks.

Reply to
ODB

I just removed the tile from a bathroom. Used a BIG hammer to just smash the tile and mortar bed into little bits. The whole time I kept thinking how lucky I was that it was plywood with joists underneath and not concrete.

An automotive grade air chisel worked okay and didn't depend on the flex of the subfloor. Much slower than the BFH, though. That, earplugs, and a lot of beer is how I'd attack tile on concrete.

Tile pros MUST have a better way to do this.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Once you get the first one up it will go OK. Like the Rev sayz you need a BFH (3lb minimum) to get those tiles loose. Or rent a small jackhammer with a chisel tip, they have them specifically for that job.

Reply to
RayV

Rent about a 35 LBS demo hammer with a 3" chisel bit or two, if you have grinder try to keep them sharp belt sander will work. I would wear a face shield. ear plugs. When I tore my tile out I put a old beach over the area I was working to catch the tile chips flying. It's one of those jobs you wish you never started, your going to hating life

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

once tile is up replace sub floor, its the only way you will want to use concrete board.

if the floor under the tile is cement keep going you had a mud job, it cant be reused go right thru to sub floor, and remove

Reply to
hallerb