Removing a 4'x4' section of hardwood flooring

I plan to remove a 4'x4' section of 1.75" x .75" inch hardwood flooring from a corner of a bedroom in order to make a bathroom larger. I was planning on just using my circular saw set at .75 inch depth and replacing the blade when I hit a nail.

I've never hit a nail with a circular saw before, and I'm not sure if this will ruin my $30 walmart saw. Is there a better tool to do this job with? I don't want to cut the subfloor or I'd just use a sawzall.

Reply to
kellyj00

If you have a good hardened tip blade it will saw a few nails before it is trashed. I won't like it, but it will do it. I can't see any permanent damage to the saw, just noise, maybe smoke from the blade, but usually it is over before you realize it. I would definitely use a guide, even just a 2 x 4 trim screwed down or someone standing on it. I'm not steady enough to make a long straight cut freehand.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

That is probably the best way to remove it. If you hit a nail, you will see sparks. Other than that, you won't really notice anything except that the blade will suddenly be very dull. It won't ruin the saw.

Reply to
Robert Allison

You guys are Great! thanks. Also, a good tip about nailing down a temporary guide of a 2x4.

Thanks again gents.

Reply to
kellyj00