removed carpet from hardwood floors

I recently removed wall to wall carpeting from over hardwood floors. What would be the best way to remove the tape that was used to hold down the carpet while doing the least amount of damage to the hardwood floor.

Reply to
John Smith

I'm no expert, but goof-off, a sharp stainless putty knife or plastic spatula, and one of those mesh ball kitchen scrubby things comes to mind. Do not use steel wool or a wirebrush. Keep it all as dry as you can. You may be able to get away w/o a full sand and refinish, but expect to do a light refinish, at least in the traffic areas or where grit fltered through the carpet, and a heavy cleaning and waxing all over. Hopefully they put the tape over intact finish, and not the worn-through spots. (Hey, I have seen people put w/w over brand new hardwood before, because w/w is what rich people had.)

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

Get a carpet shampooer with rotating brushes. Works great. You use it to spray on some water, let the brushed work, and keep it wet. Then you vacuum up the water. Don&#39;t go overboard on the water, though. Beats the heck out of scrubbing by hand.

Reply to
Pat

would be the best way to remove the tape that was used to hold down the carpet while doing the least amount of damage to the hardwood floor.

WD40 or mayo.

Reply to
RayV

Use a product called "Goof Off". This will help remove the glue and tape. Whatever you use, test it in a small area before using it over a larger area to make sure it won&#39;t stain. I&#39;ve used this product on a number of surfaces with good results.

Paul

Reply to
flansp78

Pat wrote Get a carpet shampooer with rotating brushes. Works great. You use it to spray on some water, let the brushed work, and keep it wet. Then you vacuum up the water. Don&#39;t go overboard on the water, though. Beats the heck out of scrubbing by hand.

============

Oh no, the secret is out. I have purchased 3 of those devices in garage sales. Never for more than $5. Most come with 3 sets brushes: soft, medium and firm. I have discovered that there is always an appropriate set of brushes for any serious cleaning job.

I&#39;ve held the base of the unit in my hands and scrubbed walls with it. Vinyl floors and hardwood floors are other good applications. The units work well on automobile carpets and floor mats, used in conjunction with a Hoover style carpet cleaner.

A good power washer works well on most concrete, but a carpet shampooer with the stiffest brushes, used in conjuntion with detergent and bleach, will restore almost any horizontal concrete.

Just don&#39;t forget to use a portable GFCI with the shampooer.

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

Glad to see I&#39;m not the only one. Most people don&#39;t believe me when I tell them. Beats scrubbing by hand.

Reply to
Pat

well, its a great idea, and i will remember it!

Reply to
readandpostrosie