Installing carpet over hardwood

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can tell what is the best way (i.e. the way that does least damage to the existing floor) to install carpet over hardwood floors.

I am no fan of hardwood floors at all, but realise that any potential future buyer might be quite keen to know there is hardwood flooring under the carpet, and so I want to try and minimise any damage I might do.

Thanks for your help,

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Richardson

A possibility (I did this): Get very large area rugs cut to size, leaving about a foot away from each wall, with a pad beneath. No nail holes. Only damage (not serious) may be uneven fading of the floor, depending on wood/stain.

Good luck.

To install wall to wall carpeting, tack strips have to be put around the perimeter and that will leave some holes and potentially other damage.

You could consider an area rug leaving a border. While you may not like HW floors, it can greatly enhance the resale value so you are right in trying to preserve them. Talk to the carpet dealer also to be su re the padding is not going to cause a problem. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Another vote on the padding suggestion. Some rubber padding ends up sticking to the wood. Getting off the residue means hacking the bejeezus out of the floor, and you end up having to refinish them. That means either lots of money, or lots of work.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I am very surprised that no one has suggested Legato carpet tiles, available at Home Depot.

They use no tackstrips or adhesive. I've used them and they work and look great. Just be sure you follow the directions very carefully.

Kurt Richards> Hi All

Reply to
rootwofake

I did this but had an additional problem. The guy who finished thee custom size area rugs did a mediocre job using binding staples. Some were sharp thru the cloth binding edge and over the years scratched the floor. Also had major fading.

Reply to
Art

(snip) . Talk to the carpet dealer also to be su re the padding

Main damage to hardwood isn't usually the tack strips, nasty as those are. It is the grit that filters through carpet grinding holes in the finish, and the liquid oopsies, especially the pet/human sourced ones, that don't get immediately cleaned up because the carpet hides them, or the owner doesn't have time to roll the carpet back and clean the spill properly.

Being an allergy sufferer, hardwood floors would be a BIG plus to me in any house I looked at. No carpets too big to throw in washing machine.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers