remove chimney and vent furnace outside

+1

IDK what shows up there at HomeMoanersHub, but I see a long thread where people discussed building permits, code, etc. in this eleven year old thread. And it didn't sound like that original OP was about to go DIY either. And even if he did, the relevant basic safety and code issues are right in the install instructions for the direct vent furnace.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, Iggy wrote: Wow! Why are you here? You're very wrong and most especially will most definitely be completely wrong in your advice in the quite near future, according to your "logic". Sorry but, newsflash, Home Stuff doesn't change for decades and the people who originally answered weren't wrong nor outdated nor worthless (except trader_4). Please reconsider your stance, mission and rotten attitude.

Reply to
Iggy

Please tell us exactly how Joan or I are wrong. And of course the others were not outdated, because they replied 11 years ago. Code issues, building permits were discussed in the thread 11 years ago. The very first reply mentioned exactly that. You waltz in, reply 11 years later, claim that only you thought of any such issues. What nerve. "Talk with your HVAC guy or company" Wow! Who would have thought of that? But it's not surprising coming from HomeMoanersHub.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote: Ah, Mr. or Ms. LookingForAFightAndAlwaysLosing themself. I ain't waltzing, I simply included what was excluded. I don't know why no-one gave out any such project killing or clearing information. But now, *finally*, when someone else searches the web for the same topic they'll have a basic understanding of the obstacles.

- Joan says replying to or completing an incomplete old thread is valueless and that good and proper information is stupid if it's old. And you, detracted from the answers by pointlessly whining on about the nonsense of efficiencies. Sorry but, an 80% unit used to be half the cost of a super-high efficiency unit. Thousands of dollars may not matter to you, but to others it does. And no, the efficiency won't pay for itself in most of the world and you'd only break-even upon a decade of use.

Reply to
Iggy

Damn, not only are you dumb as a box of rocks your ignorant butt can't read either. But that was evident when you drug up an ELEVEN YEAR OLD thread to reply to it as if it were posted just last week.

I guess the name 'Iggy' is short for IGNORANT. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I think we're wasting our time as Iggy-norant is on a tangent and can't see the forest for the trees. It seems to be a common anomaly with posters from HomeMoaners Hubcap.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

High-efficiency furnaces are notoriously unreliable after they're about

8 years old. Any money you save on fuel the first 8 years, you'll spend on repairs the second.

After several no-heat breakdowns (always happened at the worst possible times), I finally put in 25,000 BTU of backup electric baseboard heat.

Reply to
Frosty

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, Iggy wrote: No, I get it, you're a bigmouth bully *imagining* you're doing anything useful...as I kindly asked and you still didn't answer. HOH has this as a Headline Banner question, along with many other old questions. You think,

*somehow*, that if someone didn't have a direct-vent or chimney-less heater until now is an idiot and doesn't deserve anything but old and incomplete information. -

----- What's the harm in improving *any* question's answer?

-

----- Why do you care who answers what, when it's not detrimental?

-

----- Who do you think you are *and* what right do you think you have to bully and demean anyone?

-

----- Isn't this supposed to be some sort of Wiki of old and properly addressed questions, so people don't have to keep asking the same stuff?

-

----- What's the point in answering *anything*, if "people" like you will just call it the days of ignorance next year?

Reply to
Iggy

Wow, they do? Really? HomeMoanersHub? Who the hell cares? From what I have seen, all they are is a portal that tries to make it look like they are behind AHR which is really a usenet newsgroup. They put up a decade old question, from a thread that was well discussed and answered and someone over there jumps on it like it was asked today. It's probably a bot doing it to increase traffic in an attempt to make the website commercial and of some value to them.

You think,

The only people who seem to stumble on these old threads and start them all over again are a few people from HomeMoanersHub. The rest of us know they are old, answered, like this one. And nothing much has changed in the way of venting furnaces in the intervening 10 years. The very first reply told the OP about building permits and following code, something you seem to think only you brought here. They told him that while he was here and asked it. He's long gone. IT's not even clear he ever even cared about the answer. Did you notice that he made one post, never another in the thread?

It sure looks stupid when you just show up 10 years later, addressing a question as if it's current. And it's insulting when you then claim that you suddenly brought up something new, when the very first reply

10 years ago brought up codes, building permits. "Talk to your HVAC guy, there are code issues" Wow, what new insight!

Not really. It's a discussion newsgroup. You may find an old threads with a search engine, if you're lucky. But it's definitely not a Wiki type reference.

To answer the person's question that was just asked. In this case, that was done 10 years ago. No one is asking it now. It's likely no one will find it again who needs that question answered currently. But someone from HomeMoanersHub will probably revive the whole thing again 10 years from now. Enjoy!

Reply to
trader_4

B I N G O!!!!!!!!!

Iggy-norant is just too stupid to realize this.

I don't know why those dumbasses on HomeMoanersHub can't read, the date is _right there staring them in the face._ I know this for a fact as I went there to see what is so great about that site that it draws in the retards. They all seem to have blinders on when it comes to reading the date of the original post; that's why we see 7, 10, 15+ year old threads dug up from the past with these Mensa rejects answering them like they were just posted.

YES! YES! YES!

You explained it perfectly, Trader.

Again, a perfect explanation but I think it's all for naught. They'll continue to visit that stupid site as if it's got all the latest and greatest information. Then they'll comment only to be told the question was posted and answered y-e-a-r-s ago. But the huffiness will continue when that has been pointed out to them.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote: Just ridiculous nonsense! *A pair of nothings* that go out of their way to crawl up someone's ass and try ever so unbelievably to call *them* the asshole. Yeah, real original...you're not putrid disgusting scumbag filth *trolls*, because you say so.

"Wah, Wah, Wah, you screwed up my anal retention!"

He said check codes! He said check codes! He said check codes! Means I'm not telling you about clearances, but I mean there's clearances that you must know about. So go crawl up the asses of the "morons" that repeatedly repeated his abject vagueness and didn't do what I finally did.

Reply to
Iggy

The person asking the question was basically clueless and I doubt your giving him some partial specs as to your wild guesses at the venting requirements will do much to solve his problem, especially 10 years later. Even you said "talk to your HVAC guy". Duh! And are you SURE about that 3 ft min distance to an opening? It's 3ft regardless of the size of the furnace? Regardless of whether it's direct vent or not? But, heh, I'm not the one telling him what the code is for his specific unknown equipment and unknown location are, you are. I simply said that others here 10 years ago told him that codes and building permits typically apply. But since you're calling others moron now, I'll point out to you that you're wrong, it's not

3 ft for any size furnace, to an opening, it can be as little as 1 ft clearance from a vent to an opening according to the fuel gas code for the USA, which most jurisdictions follow. Who's the moron that's misleading people now?

All the below was stated to the poster:

"Start at the city hall building permits office. For reasons of fire safety, you probably need a permit to alter any existing furnace chimney."

"First, your furnace and hot water heater need to be specifically designed for direct venting. As mentioned in a post above it might be a good time to consider two new high efficiently units (furnace and hot water heater).

Second, you need to be careful as to where the vent exits the house. There are limits as to how close the vent can be to any upstairs windows. Think of the vent gases as washing up the side of the house. You cannot have the vented gasses draft back into the house thru windows above the vent point. You many need to relocate the two new units to another part of the basement to accommodate this very important design criterion."

That was all there from 10 years ago. It all pointed the OP in the right direction. Your 3 ft rule isn't correct. Wanna play some more? Or quit while you're behind?

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader4, Jake wrote: It's far more than a matter of energy savings. I agree that it makes no sense to replace a working unit in good condition, under any circumstances. But I've just had - that's "had" - to have a propane boiler condenser installed, because the oil-fed boiler cracked, and there seemed to be no one, anywhere, who could figure out how to get a new oil boiler into the "basement," nor an oil tank. I loathe this system, for a two-page list of reasons, not the least of which is the substantial amount of attention one has to pay to learning all aspects of how these systems work, including venting, freezing around flues, danger of explosion, CO, CO2... the danger of running out of propane - that's danger - not just an inconvenience. If I had the money - which I don't because it all went into this replacement, and it's snowing these days - I would have it ripped out and shredded, and I'd have the side of the house removed if necessary to stay with oil. I'm also having eye irritation in one section of this old small house, and I have to wonder about just what has been introduced, and, believe me, it's not fabulous warm, dry heat, either.

Reply to
Jake

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, Jake wrote: Rude. And a good post is a good post whether one day, or 11 year's old.

Reply to
Jake

  Oh quit your bitching and install a wood burning stove . Buy a chainsaw and a splitter and cut your own fuel . You get both a warm dry heat  and the added benefit of better health . Cuttin' and splittin' firewood is very good exercise !   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

If you have a basement with limited access so that a new oil tank and oil boiler can't be brought in, I understand that. The rest of the stuff, ie CO, explosions regarding direct vent is just FUD. There are tens of millions operating and I haven't heard of any more incidents of these events than occur with chimney vented. In fact, I haven't heard of a CO death from a direct vent so far, but I have heard of plenty of them with old direct vent furnaces that they replaced. I have a direct vent nat gas furnace, it's cut my heating bills by more than half and no explosions or CO here.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to mm, BeautifulSinkhole wrote: Terrible answer

Reply to
BeautifulSinkhole