Rehabbing an old gas range

Hi,

We have this Amana gas range which is a slide in type and it is really old looking.

It is white and the burner bowls have taken a beating and I just can't clean them. I also cannot find replacement parts. I can find them in black, but it's not even clear if they are the right size and the women on the phone couldn't really figure that out either. Mine are two different sizes because the burners on this stove are different on both sides.

Next appliances will definitely not be white!

Other than these burner bowls, there are two plastic end caps that I can buy for - get this - $100!!!! They are plastic. And they're small two. But the stove looks awful with the busted ones we have on there.

Aside from that it needs 4 knobs in the front beause my wife took them off when the kids were young and they are lost now.

Other than that the stove looks pretty good and I hate to spend the money on a new one, not to mention the hassle of having someone deliver a new one and making sure it fits right with our counter tops. I'm sure that should be reasonably easy to do but who knows.

I don't think I can paint the burner bowl things because of the heat from the flame.

So for the price of two end caps, 4 knobs, and 2 burner bowls - if I can find them, I will have a much better looking stove.

Anybody have any ideas for what to do about these burner bowl things?

Here's a link with a picture of them:

Would appreciate any suggestions on what to do about the burner bowls.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
szeik

How about some of those high temperature paints they use on engine manifolds??

Reply to
professorpaul

The kind you find in your parts store doesn't last, and isn't glossy.

Perhaps, though, a ceramic coating such as Jet-Hot might be the ticket?

I'm more of a car guy so there may be a service available to re-porcelain old stove parts, I dunno.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

there's places to reporcelain tubs, so there must be places that will take small parts too.

Reply to
charlie

far cheaper to buy a brand new range. the parts are still old and even if you fix it cosmetically at any time another non replaceable part may fail

Reply to
hallerb

I guess it really depends on how old the old stove is. If it's 1940s or earlier I would do everything in my power to keep it going. I remember my grandmother used to go down to the basement to cook Christmas dinner on the old gas stove that was moved down there after the kitchen was remodeled, because she liked the way it cooked better than the newer (probably late 60's or early 70's) stove that was actually in the kitchen.

Truth be told, if I owned my own house at the time that my grandparents moved out of that place, I probably wouldn't have any room to live for moving all the stuff in that I'd have scavenged out of there. I just hope the people that bought the place appreciated all of it and didn't dump it into a valley somewhere.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Check ot some of the stuff here

I don't remember what we did with my grandmother's old stove in the basement, probably junked it. Hey, it was old and we were dumb back then.

As for the OP, if it is of some great significance, try to restore it, but if it is just a 20 or so year old stove of no particular merit, get a new one.

I cannot believe the difference between out 25 year old Magic Chef and our year old Bertazoni. I used to think an oven was just a box that got hot. Now I know what the new appliances are capable of. Fantastic roasts.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski