Refrigerator Seal

The seal on my 1997 Frigidaire has started to shrink so the door doesn't close good. It also appears to me that the door sags slightly - the side where the handle is. It's one of those where you can switch sides by moving the hinges and I wonder if something is loose. Anyway, is it common for the seal to start shrinking after a few years? Anyone had any experience with this? Hate to change seal and find out it was something else all along. (That's assuming I can find the right seal anyway). My DH doesn't think the door is sagging - so it may just be me.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

Yes, seals shrink. Any fair to good refrig guy oughta be able to get you a new seal.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

I apply a little mineral oil periodically to refrig and freezer door seals to keep them in good shape -- same with pressure cooker and other similar gaskets.

Reply to
Ermalina

Door hinge washers or bushing in the door will often wear and the door will shift/sag/drop....often we need to remove the doors to add a washer or two or to at least inspect the hinges and door.

I have seen them fold over, get twisted, get distorted, tear/rip, but not really shrink.

You would need the model# off of the fridge to get the correct part...

helps.

If the gasket is damaged in any way it may need to be replaced. Sometimes food spillage gets onto the gasket and it sticks to the refrigerator facing and the gasket will shift and become distorted out of shape :(

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

After 6 years, yes it happens.

You can read about replacing a fridge/freezer door gasket at the following link:

>Hate to change seal and find out it was something else all along.

Sounds like the hinges may be out of adjustment and/or the hinge pins or door bearings the pins go through may be worn.

You can read what information is needed to get replacement parts for your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below. For only a 6 year old appliance, I'm sure parts are still available.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to