Refrigerator Froze?

I believe the cause of a freezing refrigerator has been posted here before but I can't seem to find it or recall the reason.

This concerns a 1970 GM Fridgedair that is freezing food in the refrigerator compartment. Is a drain plugged or frozen? What causes this?

Reply to
tnom

Thermostat borked/set too low perhaps?

Reply to
Meat Plow

That discussion was for a fridge compartment that won't keep cold. The cause was a ice blocked cold air transfer duct (see below). The solution was to give the fridge a complete overnight thaw to free up the blockage.

I have a 30 year old Moffat fridge with the same problem. On hot days (> 20 deg C) I have to turn the thermostat to max. When the room temperature is in the low teens (deg C) the fridge compartment contents freeze solid. Although I can probably do it I am not about to fool around with parts repairs if I can work around it.

My eventual solution was to place a block of rubber sponge (to restrict the airflow] in the plastic air deflector housing in the freezer compartment. In my fridge there is a fan on the back wall of the freezer compartment. This fan blows the cold air from the freezer compartment via this snap-on plastic cover into a duct that runs downwards from the back wall [between the insulated fridge wall space] into the fridge compartment. On cold days I would remove the plastic cover and slide the sponge to leave only a small opening for the cold air transfer duct. This restricts the amount of cold air blown into the fridge compartment. Freezing problem solved.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

You guys want a free refrigerator? Yes, free. Just get rid of those 30 year old models and buy a new on and in a couple of years, it will be paid for with the savings in electricity. I got rid on a small second fridge we had, bought a new one twice the size, and my electric bill went down by $10. Don't spend any money on repairs when you can save in the long run.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A couple of years? Have you priced refrigerators lately?

Reply to
tnom

Yes, and it is amazing how cheap some of them are. While you can spend $2500 and up for a fancy model, you can get a basic 18 cu. ft. frost free for about $450.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'll buy a new one as soon as your check arrives in my mailbox. Let me know when you send it.

Reply to
james12321

I beg to differ. It is very difficult to find one under $1000

Reply to
tnom

Really? You don't know how to shop. There are many listed for less than $450 at Best Buy as a start. My local store sold me an 18 cu ft frost free for $399 (delivered) a couple of years ago. It may be a few bucks more today.

Edwin Pawlowski

snip

Yes, I do know how to shop. You can't use your useless web page to represent reality. Put your area code into the equation and see what's really available. Hardly any full size refrigerators under $1000 are actually available at stores like Best Buy, Lowe's, or Home Depot.

Reply to
tnom

Surely you jest!

I'm a landlord and buy refrigerators all the time with prices of around $399 to $550. As a matter of fact, for my rentals I never pay more.

These range from 14 to 18 cu.ft models. They may have wire shelfs instead of glass, no fancy compartments in the doors etc.

However, they have the same moving parts like compressors as do the $1000 models. I've never had one fail within 5 years, except for one that was in a fire and the soldered tubing connections let go becasue of the ehat.

Sources include Sears, Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot and several regional appliance chains near me. Sometimes at places like Sears, you have to wait for a sale. That happens at least 4 times a year.

As the other poster has said, if you can't find them, you are not really looking.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Have to agree. Even here in eastern Canada where the transportation in tends to be higher, one should be able to get a basic good fridge for around $600 Canadian which = about $500 to %550 US (at recent $ rates of exchange). Slightly fancier ones for around $799. All the way up to stainless with water/ice dispensers in the $1500 range and well above. There is even one with a TV in its door!!!!! For the TV addicted I guess?

But the basic economics of saving $10 worth of electricity per month seems suspect? Here it works out to the fridge running about half the time (12 hours per day for 30 days per month!)

And in this area the 'wasted' electricity contributes to house electric heating most months of the year anyway, so it isn't really a $10 saving at all.

rate, $10 per month will finance over a ten year period somewhat less than a $1000 purchase?

Ecologically and from point of view of deferring capital expenditures for additional electrical generation and distribution capacity, if there really was a saving per month it could perhaps be justified. Especially if it reduces that damn acid rain problem. Partly caused by burning coal in major centres of the North American continent to generate electricity.

Reply to
terry

This is a good reason why I prefer to stick to incandescent lamps over the politically correct fluorescents. I find the fluorescents hard on my eyes when I am reading or looking at fine detail. I don't turn on enough lights in the house anyway to realise any savings between having a 100W reading lamp on and a set of ceiling mounted 4 x 40W fluorescents.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Bought a nice Estate (By Whirlpool) side by side 21.9 Cu. Ft. with ice and water for $649.00.

Reply to
Meat Plow