Reducing Noise from nearby busy street

I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2 lanes in each direction. Are there any remedies I can implement to help reduce this noise? I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations? Looking for some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.
On 10/22/17 8:44 PM, Nyknba wrote:

Trees, bushes, sound wall.
On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 8:47:20 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The

in

Yes, trees and bushes are excellent sound absorbers.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:36:53 -0700 (PDT),

They absorb much of it but then later they emit some of the sounds they've absorbed. Late at night when the traffic has stopped, if you put your ear next to the bush you can hear that day's traffic noise.
Police who know about this and get there soon enough have gathered audible evidence about crimes committed close to the bushes.
micky posted for all of us...

me. The

et in

2

Sort of like "The Whispering Pines"?
--
Tekkie

On 10/22/17 9:47 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Sometimes, the only solution is... to move.
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 01:44:03 GMT, Nyknba

This machine has been a god send for me. At less than $50, it's one of the best buys of my life. I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)08725792&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=sleep%2Bmachine%2Bwhite%2Bnoise&th=1

From "Architectural Accoustics; Functional Requirements Design & Technology" (U.S. Naval Facilities Engineering Command; Design Manual 1.03; May 1985; page 27):
***** 7. WINDOWS. Fixed windows will be close to their laboratory STC rating. Operable sash windows can be 10 STC less than the lab rating due to sound leaks at the window frame. Gaskets are necessary for a proper seal. Some window units will have unit STC ratings which would be a rating of both the gasketing and glass type. According to mass law, the heavier the glass the better the noise reduction. Table 11 provides STC ratings on several glass and operable window types. Double-glazed units are no better than singleglazed if the air space is 1/2 inch (12mm) or thinner. This is due to a resonance condition created by a close air coupling of the glass panes. This type of glass should be avoided near truck, train, or aircraft noise. A 2-inch (50mm) airspace between glass panes will provide better noise reduction. This could be a typical.storm sash and is recommended for truck, train, or aircraft noise. Laminated glass has superior noise reduction capabilities. Installing glass in a neoprene "U" channel and installing sound-absorbing material on the jamb between the panes will also improve noise reduction. Special acoustical window units are available for critical installations. *****
In my house, on the street-facing walls, I put a set of double-glazed windows in the usual "outside" position, and another set on the inside walls, with mini-blinds in between. Truly a pain to clean the larger ones, but the blinds stay nice and clean ;-), and the sound-reduction is very noticible.
I've also heard of double-glazed windows where one of the panes is thicker glass than the other, in order to "decouple" the vibration.
For walls, you can "stagger-stud", so that the interior (usually sheetrock) is attached to every-other stud, and the exterior is attached to the alternates. Using rock-wool for insulation helps a bit, too. Of course, re-doing existing walls is expensive. Tapestries, or decorative towels, or even carpeting on the walls helps a lot too.
I experimented one time, putting egg-flats on all the interior walls of a room in a house that was situated much like yours. One small furniture tack in each flat. Did all four walls, and the two doors, floor to ceiling (Floors were carpeted concrete). The sensation was startling. It was very much an an-echoic chamber. The only traffic sounds to make it thru, were the low-freq, ground rumbles, which I had never even heard before putting up the egg-flats. Unfortunately, it's not a popular decorating technique :-(
--
croy

Do a search for sound absorbing paint. You'll find several.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:16:45 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The paint may absorbe the sound, but later it emits much of the absorbed sound, and that can make it hard to sleep.
On 10/23/2017 11:12 AM, micky wrote:

Maybe he can collect the sound and sell it for rock concerts and such. It can be a money maker!
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:16:45 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I hadn't heard of this but for the sake of these two posts, I'll assume it works:
I'll admit I haven't looked, but unless he's going to paint his windows, doesn't he have to paint the rooms that face the windows?
I think the sound is coming in through the windows, not the walls, so even if his house is painted and he paints the house outside, won't that just change how much is reflected back at the street, not how much comes into the house?
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:15:22 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Depends on his climate and how much insulation is in the walls.

me. The

et in

2 lanes

educe this

ooking for

one who can get the noise under control rather quickly. ┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

I blocked off my bedroom window with wood, with 6 inches of corrugated cardboard behind it. I can no longer hear the bypass.
Perhaps electric cars will reduce noise if they ever get going.
-- My sister-in-law sat on my glasses and broke them. It was my own fault. I should have taken them off.

th

is

ಠ_ಠ)┘

If I stand in a layby, I'd say 50% of the noise sounds like engines and 50% sounds like tyres. Of course tyres and tarmac could also be improved for silence.
-- A scientist from Texas A&M University has invented a bra that keeps women's breasts from jiggling and prevents the nipples from pushing through the fabric when cold weather sets in. At a news conference announcing the invention, the scientist was taken outside by a group of cowboys, who then proceeded to kick the shit out of him.
Nyknba posted for all of us...

Put a toll booth in front of your house.
--
Tekkie

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Glazed over...
--
Tekkie

On 10/22/2017 9:44 PM, Nyknba wrote:

Steal some 25 mph signs from a city street and post them in place of the 40's.