Recap of 2014 posts

I remember some but not all of the popular posts here.

What were your favorites and was a resolution posted.

Do you think too many posts are made without research, that have been beaten to death before?

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

Do you feel this a stupid post? What do you feel is important?

Please leave out politics and religion.

*Happy New Year* in case I don't get back here promptly.
Reply to
Tekkie®

HNY Tekkie!! It's one of the best usenet groups. Very useful and pleasant. Specific replies below with each question....

I have no specific favorite. Even those that stray off topic are fine as long as they stay somewhat relevant.

No. Repeating the same questions means people are taking part. For example, if my heater is working fine, I won't be checking threads about how to fix a heater. Telling someone "google is your friend" or "that was discussed last month" with no constructive advice will only turn people off. 1 on 1 discussion with someone familiar with a topic is many times better than googling.

Always good to know, but not realistic to expect it. A "thanks" is always appreciated and will keep the forum active.

It's an excellent post! It made me think (watch out!! LOL!) It's important to respect everyone who posts. As the Desiderata (sp?) says, "even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story to tell" -- just ask my wife. LOL!!

Good advice. This group is better than most. It survived the recent election.

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones

It would be helpful to me if alt.home.repair could recommend a common usenet binaries group where the posters here can upload sketches and small photos.

My internet access is not always good, but email and usenet are fine. Also, web-based free sites change their formats, links or otherwise can be cumbersome to use.

I know most ISP's did away with carrying usenet a few years ago, but some, like earthlink & peoplepc (mine) still have all of them.

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones

Eternal-september has binary access , though file sizes are limited . Teranews has full free binary access with the only restriction being a

50Mb/day cap . I've hit the cap maybe 5 times in ten or so years . e-s is totally free , tera has several levels , from totally free to pay-for-bandwidth plans . I'm using their free-after-a-$3.95-setup-fee plan . Tera is my primary server , I keep e-s as a backup for those infrequent times when tera goes down . -- Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

alt.test.binaries

Reply to
ChairMan

It's not in the TOS and it's not in the Bible specifcally, but he has some obligation. However lots of problems take weeks, months, or years to resolve and it's easy to forget or feel that those who replied aren't there anymore, or have lost interest.

Reply to
micky

Yea, and some threads seem to get hijacked into another totally different topic and get so large in replies that I dont want to even read them anymore. I regularly save threads which I began, or others that are interesting, but when they turn into junk or people start flaming others, or turn it into politics, I tend to just delete any further additions to that thread. This is annoying but no one can prevent it on an unmoderateed newsgroup. But I guess I'd rather deal with that sort of stuff, than have to register and then constantly sign in on web forums everytime I want to read them.

I often thank people in advance when I post a question. I read all replies to my own questions, (unless they get hijacked), but I dont always feel the need to reply.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

That damned "Colonel" sure stinks up the place with his spam.

Reply to
KLayton888

Yes. There are about 20 reasons, in addition to those two, not to wasted one's time on web forums. I made a list once but I see below that I can't remember most of them this time.

The biggest is that there is so little text on the screen, and one has to wait, if only a little bit, for the next screen. With Usenet, you can download all the headers for all threads in one shot, and if a thread is interesting, download all the bodies, and then you have them all, at one time.

Also, open tabs contribute to browser crashing. Agent 1.93 otoh almost never crashes, only if windows does, and never freezes. .

Reply to
micky

I've filtered him and his friends out pretty well, but I can't help but wonder what it is like to be so sick for so long. If he's tried therapy. If they have drugs for his problem. If he has a family, including parents, and how he treats them. If he has a job and co-workers and if they can stand him.

Reply to
micky

There is a shortage of automotive newsgropus. Which one did you visit?

Reply to
micky

In hopes of improving the newsgroup, below is a illustration of how not to reply to a question.

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones

For variety, and qty of posts, Danny D has to be way out in front. I am interested that changing flat tires seems to attract a lot of posts. Amazing how some threads light up the board. And some just lay there and rot.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Depends on the question. None of us get paid to solve problems but we do it to help others. Not every question requires a followup but it would be nice to know if a problem is resolved and how it was. It can help the next person.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I want to know what happened with the gal who's neighbor was digging a trench to fix his basement leaks, had taken down her fence and had piled dirt on her yard.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I remember that one, but I think it was a man using a woman's email.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney