INFO - RUST - The degeneration of tools and how to deal with it

It's amazine sometimes, the stuff I run across while looking for something else.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Just out of curiousity, what did you think was so amazing about this? Seemed pretty much the "same old" discussion, albeit nicely formatted...

Reply to
dpb

Right. Those silica gel cannisters mentioned in the article are the right idea, just too expensive. I save all of those little bags of silica gel that are used in packaging assorted hardware and such. Put them in an oven at 300 degrees for a bit and then put them in a plastic container with some holes (no holes on the bottom). Same idea as store bought, but essentially free.

RicodJour

Sat, Oct 7, 2006, 7:53am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@swko.net (dpb) doth stumbleth in and mumbleth: Just out of curiousity, what did you think was so amazing about this? Seemed pretty much the "same old" discussion, albeit nicely formatted...

Thought I'd made it clear, but guess it went right over your head. I'll quote myself: "It's amazine sometimes, the stuff I run across while looking for something else."

The amazing part is I found the piece on rust while doing a google search for something entirely unrelated to to rust, or even metal. So, I was surprised when I came across it. A link or two to articles about fighting rust is alwys handy. And no mantter how many times it's been beaten to death here, it'll come up again in a day or two anyway, because people seldom do any research before they ask for someone else to solve theyr problem for them. Clear now?

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Is that anything like Amazon?? Oh wait, it's supposed to be amazing!!! Doh, silly me!!! WebTV.

sometimes, the stuff I run across while looking for

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Sat, Oct 7, 2006, 8:44pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Tim=A0Taylor) doth queryeth: Is that anything like Amazon?? Oh wait, it's supposed to be amazing!!! Doh, silly me!!! WebTV.

Indeed yes, "amazing". On occassion I try to introduce a but of culture here, to make some of you think a bit, or to just puzzle some of you, as the case may be; "amazine" is an archaic usage of the word "amazing". You can see that culture is pretty much wasted here. Doh. PC.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

A wad of cloth stuffed into a small lemonade bottle with some linseed oil in it will make a good rub to go straight onto any patches of rust that you notice when using a toy once in a while. The oil seeps ast the rust and incorporates it into a resin bond. And it easily wipes off machine surfaces that you want free.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Yes, you are the butt of culture. Or is that the armpit of culture, Buttercup?

Reply to
el kabong

Indeed yes, "amazing". On occassion I try to introduce a but of culture here, to make some of you think a bit, or to just puzzle some of you, as the case may be; "amazine" is an archaic usage of the word "amazing". You can see that culture is pretty much wasted here. Doh. PC.

HAHAHa Touche`!!

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Perfectly clear. You're deconstructing the idea of a FAQ. Instead of accumulating information in a central repository you're attempting to post the trivia on a more frequent basis in individual posts. You're doing a public service by catering to the inefficient.

RicodJour

Sun, Oct 8, 2006, 11:07am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@comova.com (el=A0kabong) doth burbeleth: Yes, you are the butt of culture. Or is that the armpit of culture, Buttercup?

Ah, El Kabong, funny hat, cape, mask; avenging himself on culture, whenever he finds it. ROTFLMAO You're so silly.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Sun, Oct 8, 2006, 11:28am snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Tim=A0Taylor) doth posteth: HAHAHa =A0 Touche`!!

LOL.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

You can buy silica gel cat litter. It's about $12 CAD for 8 lbs.

Even that is kind of expensive for the cat, so I'm thinking about trying to find an industrial source.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen