Re: Should I get 18 volt or 24 volt Cordless drill, saw ... ?

Man how things have changed in a few years. Now that I look back on this conversation and compare it to what is out on the market now as far as cordless tools. Most brands are still making their corded tools, but not much has improved in the last say 5 to 10 years. Heck, there are a few that are not even making new or upgraded corded tools any longer. However, if you look at their cordless tools, you'll see that they are actually surpassing the corded tools in performance and weight.

Reply to
jeremiah.j.mckenna

One of the biggest improvements has been in battery technology. A lithium ion battery will hold a charge for at least a couple of years. Ni-Cd batteries need to be recharged after a few months. Lithium ion is in a smaller package for similar Amp-Hours.

I found a DeWalt adapter that lets me use 20 Volt lithium ion batteries in older tools that came with 18 Volt Ni-Cd. It is nice to be able to use the tools without first recharging the batteries!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

As just a home owner I may not use a battery powdered device for months at a time. Always irriatating to me that the nicads are either in need of a charge or have gone bad and will not even hold a charge even though they may have only been used 5 or 10 times. Hopefully the lithium ions will hold their charge and not go bad just sitting around for 6 months at a time.

I usually have to buy a whole new drill as I can often get the drill and

2 batteries and charger for what the 2 batteries cost. Most often the new drill will be an improved version.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery