Re: Sharing well and pump--how much should we charge? (2023 Update)

Wow!  Lots of responses!  Thanks for all the advice.

> > I'm surprised the mere idea of well sharing is so foreign to > everyone.  It's very common in Wisconsin.  It makes a lot of sense. > There are rarely any problems, and I personally have never heard of > any first-hand.  Sharing a well causes no problems with deeds, > mortgages, buying, selling, etc.  Our deed, and our neighbor's deed, > both have the same language regarding the well and pump, and the deeds > were reviewed by attorneys, title companies, lenders, etc.  This is > all legit.

If it's all so common and a swell idea that doesn't lead to any problems, why are you here asking questions about how to resolve it?

> My only problem is *HOW* to split the electricity.  We both agree that > we'll split it, and our deeds stipulate that we'll split it, but how > do we split it?  I'm waiting to hear back from my neighbor to see if > he agrees on a reasonable amount like $15/mo.  I have no reason to > believe he'll argue about it.  If he does, I'll just have to install a > meter on that circuit, watch it for a few months to come up with an > average, and then charge based on that.  If the cost of a meter is > reasonable, I may do that regardless, as I'm a lover of information, > and I'd just like to know how much juice the pump uses.

And what happens when he says, screw you, you're charging me too much, I'm only paying half? Or when lightning hits the pump and you pay for it's replacement? Or he sells the place and the new neighbor decides to put in an irrigation system for 2 acres of lawn?

> I'm satisfied that the cost to run the circuit in the first place is > negligible, and I won't bother my neighbor with that.

That's cool. How about the cost of the well and pump? Who paid for that? Here we call guys like you a sucker.

 Besides, we'd
have to run that circuit even if we didn't share a well, and our > neighbor had to run a similar circuit to control the pump, so it's not > worth analyzing. > > As for the pressure tank...  I'm going to have a non-biased third > party plumber look at the installation and make sure it's fare, and > explore the "check valve" to make sure my neighbor doesn't benefit > from it, or, if necessary, figure out what initial costs should be > shared. > > Thanks for all the information everyone! > > - Johnnie
Reply to
trader4

We've been sharing a well for over 20 years there 6 on the well the well manager owns 3 properties. We are all suppose to pay our share for electric and extra to save for well repairs. The well needed work done but the manager says the extra money went to bulk invoices when we only get 1 piece of paper a year. Now she wants to charge us for an accountant and taxes and lots of misalanius stuff that we don't know what that is. We need help. I can't find anyone

Reply to
sanchez4040#icloud .com

FWIW, "Bulk Invoices" in this context is more likely 'water deliveries' during periods when the well couldn't provide sufficient water for the six properties that share the wellhead - which is not uncommon in regions suffering from the drought in the American west (DAMHIKT).

Those types of well sharing agreements are often part of the T&C associated with the property and would have been disclosed during the property purchase.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

All the details will vary _considerably_ from place-to-place ... and even among close neighbours - who have historically different sharing agreements - - when we moved here in '94 my well supplied one neighbour at $ 250. per year and we haven't seen a need to increase it ; a nearby neighbour was getting $ 25. per year from the one home supplied from his well < ! > .. based on a very old friendly-neighbour agreement. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I am in a similar situation. My neighbor and I purchased properties months apart from the same seller. There was only one well, and it was located on the neighbor's property.

This I can tell you: a written water agreement spelling things out goes a LONG way. When I purchased my property, I was not concerned about things like that. I SHOULD have been concerned ab agreementout things like that. Thankfully, the seller was an attorney and set up a water agreement. It was signed by both my neighbor and me and runs with the land. It was part of the closing documents when I purchased my property and was recorded at the county recorder's office.

There is an electric meter which measures electricity used by the water system. Separate water meters measure each household's use, for the primary purpose of apportioning each household's share of the cost of the electricity used to run the water system.

The agreement states that use of the water system is governed by the water agreement or by mutual agreement. All maintenance costs are borne equally. The only restriction on use of water is that it cannot be used to water a permanent pasture.

The neighbor has used approximately 60 percent more water over time than I have. They have also decided that they can unilaterally create rules limiting my use of water. Thanks to the water agreement, it is clear that they lack the authority to do this. I am hugely grateful to the attorney seller for having the foresight to set up a formal water agreement.

Reply to
sbsik

sbsik's profile photo sbsik

8:28 PM (3 minutes ago) to I am in a similar situation. My neighbor and I purchased properties months apart from the same seller. There was only one well, and it was located on the neighbor's property.

This I can tell you: a written water agreement spelling things out goes a LONG way. When I purchased my property, I was not concerned about things like that. I SHOULD have been concerned about things like that. Thankfully, the seller was an attorney and set up a water agreement. It was signed by both my neighbor and me and runs with the land. It was part of the closing documents when I purchased my property and was recorded at the county recorder's office.

There is an electric meter which measures electricity used by the water system. Separate water meters measure each household's use, for the primary purpose of apportioning each household's share of the cost of the electricity used to run the water system. An easement was set up that allows my access to the water system and a water line to my property.