RE-roofing garage

My garage (in Toronto) is separate from the house. I had the house roof do= ne about 9 years ago with an architectural shingle and there were 7 package= s of it left over. The roofer left them with me so they have been sitting = in a corner of the garage ever since.=20

I am wondering if it's ok to use those shingles now that I have to replace = the garage roof. Will the glue be ok?=20

Of course I'll have to buy more of them since they won't cover the whole ar= ea.

Reply to
Trizi

I am wondering if it's ok to use those shingles now that I have to replace the garage roof. Will the glue be ok?

Of course I'll have to buy more of them since they won't cover the whole area.

----------------

The shingles should be fine. The dye lots and the color may vary slightly. I personally would not consider that a major issue on a detached garage.

I do suggest that you hold back one bundle, labeled house in case you need it in the future.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

f done about 9 years ago with an architectural shingle and there were 7 pac= kages of it left over. =A0The roofer left them with me so they have been si= tting in a corner of the garage ever since.

e the garage roof. =A0 Will the glue be ok?

Glue is usually heat-activated, so unless they were in a very hot environment they should be ok. Color is question that only you can decide. You probably should get as close as possible, and then interleave new and left-over shingles to minimize striping.

Reply to
hrhofmann

done about 9 years ago with an architectural shingle and there were 7 packages of it left over.  The roofer left them with me so they have been sitting in a corner of the garage ever since.

the garage roof.   Will the glue be ok?

Or use the leftovers on one side and new on the other if you have enough.

Reply to
clare

f done about 9 years ago with an architectural shingle and there were 7 pac= kages of it left over. =A0The roofer left them with me so they have been si= tting in a corner of the garage ever since.

e the garage roof. =A0 Will the glue be ok?

I would keep the exra existing shingles for repair and buy all new for the garage.

in case your home roof needs repairs you will still have matching shingles.

and the entire detached garage will look great..

provided you have the extra bucks for all new shingles its the best way to go

Reply to
bob haller

the ones on the house will have faded so the NOS won't match anyway.

Reply to
chaniarts

done about 9 years ago with an architectural shingle and there were 7 packages of it left over.  The roofer left them with me so they have been sitting in a corner of the garage ever since.

the garage roof.   Will the glue be ok?

Except the shingles on the roof will be faded and weathered, while the spares will not.

Agreed - except 9 packs of shingles is a lot to waste. That's 300 square feet!!

Reply to
clare

Depends on the manufacturer, and weight of the material. OP did say "7", not 9. I've handled architectural shingles with 4 bundles to a square, and even some with 5 bundles to a square. Do they even come 3 to a square? I've been away from it for almost 6 years, never seen any with 3 bundles to a square for architectural, and the OP did say they were 9 years old.

Reply to
H. Rechete