Re-dye leather couch

I just bought a used, pretty old leather couch. It's not high quality leather.

There are a bunch of stains on it, and I think the best thing to do would be to re-color the whole thing to a darker color. I don't need to match any colors, or have it look professional. I'd just like the whole couch to be a darker color so it shows the stains less.

Any suggestions for what products to use to accomplish this?

A few people I spoke with warned that if I dyed it, the color would bleed on clothes, especially if the clothes were at all sweaty. Is there some product to seal the dye in? Is this something I should worry about?

Maybe the solution isn't to dye it, but to put some type of "paint" on it?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks much

Reply to
Ancalagon

First people to talk to would be auto upholstery experts They deal with seating repairs and modifications routinely. Anything that works for them should work well for you. Next try a leather specialty shop or even shoe repair. Again, their products have years of testing behind them. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Ask a pro. It takes materials made for the job. Frankly, they may be able to do a cleaning job, that would be better. Don't try a paint and a straight dye, is not likely to cover over stains, only make them and the rest a different, but not matching color.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have never used this company, but you can learn a lot just by reading their site.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress