Re-blending Paint

I have an unused gallon of latex trim paint. Of course, it has separated. Is it possible to reblend it without taking it back to the store?

Reply to
Trudy

I was afraid that might be the answer. Thanks so much!

Reply to
Trudy

It's called "stirring"... :)

Sure, just takes time if you don't have a paddle for your drill or can't make one up out of something. (Warning, go S_L_O_W and damhikt). :)

May be just as fast to run to the store, depending on where it is relative to you...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

How much stirring depends a lot on the paint and how much tint, etc.

Some remixes pretty easily, other is a proverbial pita. I'd give it a shot and see how it goes, then decide if it's a trip or not. But, it certainly is doable w/ some time assuming that the material is still good, of course.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In the industrial paint environment we use to "box" the paint. Not sure why it's called that but. Just find another clean can and start pouring it back and forth

Reply to
HotRod

As others have said, stir it. Or you can go the more fun route and take it off-roading for a while : 0

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Good grief! When it takes too much energy to mix a gallon of paint, I'll be dead :o) Get a paint stirrer - flat stick - and start mixing by moving the stick around in the can in "figure 8" around the bottom. Then stir with lifting motion to help get what has settled "up". Even if you shake it at the store, you should mix it again just prior to each use. You can keep from slopping paint all over the rim by covering it first with a strip of tin foil. When you have it blended pretty well, just mix a bit longer by cutting back and forth across can with narrow side of stick. If the lid is on tight, you could preceed all of this by standing it on it's head overnight. G'luck :o)

Reply to
Norminn

There isn't any "of course." Some will noticeably be separate and some will not appear to have separated at all after several years.

I have never had latex paint that wouldn't remix, but if it has frozen at one time or another it will probably be unusable. Even when the top skims over in a 1/4 full can it will still remix and be usable. The easiest way with a full gallon is to pour half of it into another can. Get a stick and stir like crazy in both cans. Then pour the paint back and fourth with some stirring in between pours. In about 10 minutes it will be fully reblended. As far as matching, I just finished doing some recaulk in some areas, and repainted those areas with paint that was about 6 years old. Can't tell where I repainted (gray paint). I did the same with yellow, which fades worse than most paint, with paint that was more than 6 years old and no one could tell where I repainted. 'Course I used, Dutch Boy best grade, which I'm sure some will denigrate, but it works for me. Also no problem with Glidden's top line.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon