RANT: About Ray-O-Vac batteries!

You are talking history here...when products where made with quality...to last! Many names HAVE had a great history: Zenith, Black and Decker, Westinghouse, Sylvania...these today, are not the companies of the past...they are ONLY names.

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

I always though an odd number of batteries was a stupid idea (unless it's one)?! I have the 4-cell Mag.

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

I've had good results with HF brand. I've seen some other batteries leak in the pagkaging. I did buy some Infinity Beyond, off ebay. AAA cells, and maybe 1 of 10 leaked, new in the package.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hear that. Rayovac rechargable NiMH cells rattle around, in my mini mag.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A single-size lug wrench is lighter and faster, and it won't break when ya split a skull.

AQ

Reply to
Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama

Yeah but the flashlight is a big help for finding all the teeth afterwards.

Reply to
salty

neither will the maglight

Reply to
AZ Nomad

on 8/21/2009 10:38 AM (ET) Aloysius Q Roger-YoMama wrote the following:

The 5 cell MagLite, being thick aluminum, will not break. That is why they are the choice of police officers.

Reply to
willshak

It might be easier to explain having a flashlight in one's car. Just have to remember to wipe off the blood.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

:

The one item that I would use rechargeables in - my digital camera - won't accept them. so I'm stuck with disposables. However I've found the Energizer E2 to be excellent.

nate

Reply to
N8N

A flashlight has plausible deniability, at least after dark. A lug wrench, unless you are standing next to a jacked up flat tire, not so much.

(I was just walkin' home, officer, mindin' my own business. I was even carrying a flashlight so people wouldn't run over me. This fellow just came up from behind and grabbed me- I'm not really sure just what happened then....)

Come to think of it, I haven't seen my 4-cell in awhile. Wonder where it is? Maglights were a lot cooler when they were not mass-market. They used to come in a cardboard box at the gun store, not a blister pack at Sam's Club.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:kYudnWd7Q__ZrxLXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

you can get LED upgrades for the Maglights now;either 1 watt or 3 watt Luxeon LEDs.

Then when you whack someone,the lamp doesn't fail. B-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Some departments have banned them from the worn belt for that reason- looks and is perceived too much like a club. Scares and offends the populace.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Lowe's had a one day sale on the 3D LED Mags, and I bought one for each vehicle. Very bright, and I havn't dropped it. But, when I had my very first 4D mag, I did drop it, and the filament bent. Threw a really strange light pattern after that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Flashlight scares people, but the semi automatic pistol with high capacity magazine is just fine? I find that astounding.

I was chatting with an old man, in the hallway of my church, a couple weeks ago. He mentioned my pocket full of pens. I replied that not all are pens, one's a thermostat screw driver, and one's a utility knife. As I pulled it out, I saw his eyes grow wide. He probably doesn't even own a knife for the kitchen.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The "Task Force" 3W LED flashlight kicks a Mag-Lite's ass anyway, unless you're talking about bulk and weight. I have both a 3-D Mag-Light and a

2-C Task Force and the TF is way brighter and has a more even beam pattern.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Okay, scares and offends the underemployed inner-city preachers who are the self-appointed spokesmen for the populace? The underclass isn't too afraid that the cops are going to shoot them- they know there is publicity and paperwork attached to that. They are (justly, in some cities, sad to say), afraid of random beatings in dark corners and behind closed doors. Not as bad as 30-40 years ago, but it still goes on, and most have heard their parents talk about it. Most inner-city cops do not carry batons any more either, especially the high-tech ones. A shame, really, because with good training, they are very effective less-than-lethal weapons. Tasers seem to have replaced them in the tool kit.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

one also says it takes three cells. Is this close to what you got?

This source shows it only ten bucks for the light. 150 lumens is very bright.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

was the closest I could find, online. It's 3C, not 2C. This ad says it's combination Xenon (filament high intensity) and LED. I would expect a Xenon bulb to blow away a LED.

Where did you get yours? What did it cost?

I looked at a couple ads for Maglite LED, and they didn't list lumens output. Also checked Maglite web site, but could not find the lumens listed, either.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This one also says it takes three cells. Is this close to

This is the one that I have

and it's very bright. I haven't seen the one you mention (yet) because I don't have a Lowe's nearby, but it might be better yet, who knows. Only downside that I have found with the one that I have is that it rattles (batteries fit loosely, end cap switch rattles) but that is only annoying because I use it as a bicycle headlight occasionally. Hey, it's way cheaper than the stuff you buy at a bike store and brighter too.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel