RadonSeal doesn't work for me...

I have a new house, it's now almost two years old. Last year I bought RadonSeal to waterproof my basement. I applied a number of coats carefully to all parts of the concrete floor and walls. Well, we had some record rainfall this week here in Boston and I've had 3 inches of water come into my basement every day. I can see timy bubbles coming out of the concrete. Is it gases trapped in the concrete or some chemical reaction?

Anyhow, I'd love to hear about a real sealant that works.

Reply to
polycloud

First, where is the water entering the basement? Have cracks formed since you sealed?

I'm not familiar with that product, but my experience with water sealers is that they won't leak if the layer of sealant isn't broken.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

perhaps the flooding has exceeded the capacity of a brush-on coating. this is a new product to me, lots of info on their site.

basement stuff for you:

buffalobill

In your situation, it may be that there is no "real selant that works". After all, if there were, then we could just use it to build submarines, water mains, and pools out of balsa-wood covered with your "real sealant".

The force of the water pushing through your concrete walls and floor can reach incredible levels, and no amount of flimsy paint (especially on the inside of the basement) is going to stop it.

Go read up about proper drainage.

-Kevin

Reply to
kevin

No interior sealant is going to prevent the water that has been coming this past week. It is at or near record levels. Basements that have never had water in 20+ years are getting drenched. No type of paint will stop it.

I'm not familiar with the particular product you have, but it is merely a coating. There is a lot of hydraulic pressure pushing it away from the wall. In this situation, you need better drainage and something on the exterior that will be pushed into the foundation, not away from it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Stop focusing on water proofing and focus on water preventing. Proper drainage will stop the water, water sealers will not.

Reply to
Mike Robinson

Amen to that. Been there, tried that, for a bit. Attack the source.

barry

If you could actually "seal" the water out, it would buckle your walls. Be glad you have failed. If this is a recurring problem, you need a sump pump.

Reply to
Toller

If your purpose is to get rid or radon, an air-to-air heat exchangers would help.

Popular Mechanics explains Heat Recovery Ventilator:

(||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Sometimes addressing the source of water is quickest way to help minimize water intrusion. Is the water coming up from floor level, or through seams in the wall?

Well before you get the chance to answer, these steps have been told to me to be best at helping a damp basement.

  1. Grad your soil away from your foundation.
  2. Clean gutters, or fix them, if overflowing.
  3. Direct down spouts serveral feet away, and down hill from yoru foundation.

hth,

Tom @

Tom The Great