Quick recommendation: What tool for one-time cutting of inch-thick sandstone paving stones?

Well, masons used to cut bricks by scoring them with a mason's chisel...

then break them. I don't think that would work well in your case because of the layered structure of the stone. Your best bet is a diamond blade. You can get a 4 1/2" angle grinder at HF for $15; a dry cut diamond blade to fit for less than $10.00
To drill the round hole, you can get bits for that purpose...you can do it by hand with a star drill...you can do it with a saber saw with a tile cutting carbide blade (has carbide pieces sintered on)...you can do it by hand with a carbide rod blade on a hack saw. With th saws, you gotta have a hole first.

Reply to
dadiOH

-snip-

google 'GFCI Triple Tap cord' - I think I paid $25 for mine & it gives me peace of mind-- and I only have to walk to the end of the cord if it trips.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

OK. I'll call it flagstone! :)

Now that was interesting!

His brown (sand?) stone looks exactly the same as mine.

The scoring was trivial! He took his rock chisel and simply scratched a line. Just one line. That was it. It wasn't even a complete line. I'm amazed that 'thin' scratched line did anything!

I wonder if that will work for circles (to make the sprinkler head fit)?

Chuck Banshee

flagstone.

you could cut the sprinkler hole with a diamond hole bit and some water, but that would set you back $100 or more. easier is simply a masonary drill bit. it'd be slow, but still work ok, although there's some slight chance that the slab will crack.

if you take it to a place that fabricates granite countertops, they'd probably drill your hole for a few dollars.

Reply to
chaniarts

I'll look for a one or two-inch masonry drill bit for the sprinkler.

Actually, for this one-time-only cut, that might work best if I can't find a large enough masonry drill bit to cut the sprinkler hole.

Thanks!

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

The "scoring" was just to mark a straight line. Could have used a pencil. It was hammering the chisel that did the work. And notice the rough edges after the break-off. So don't expect clean edges with this method.

No.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Rent a masonry saw.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

No need for *me* to Google GFCI Triple Tap cord.

Long, long before GFCI-protected extension cords were readily available at any Home Center, I took about 3 feet of outdoor extension cord, put a plug on one end and a GFCI duplex receptacle in a weather proof receptacle box on the other. It lives in the same crate that my extension cords live.

I've had that same peace of mind for decades.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Get a blade used to cut holes for doorknobs and locksets It goes on your drill and makes perfect holes

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

I'd bet a metal hole saw, like for creating extra openings in a circuit-breaker box, would work. They go up to 2+ inches and are not expensive.

Why are we sprinkling flagstone?

Reply to
HeyBub

Oh. I see.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Good question! :)

The sprinkler (and the pipe to the left) need to be protected so I was figuring I'd lay the flagstones along that wall as a walkway.

When complete, the sprinkler would be within two inches of the edge of the flagstone, and it would be sprinkling the grass.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Here's the angle grinder I have ... with the cutting wheels I had in stock...

Chuck Banshee

Those first pictures were taken in the morning shade.

Here's another photo taken today in the full sunlight at noon:

Despite the stone being flat and heavy ... it's pretty soft.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

While I'm at it (cutting flagstone to create a walkway) ... would you suggest I try to repair these three holes in existing flagstone set in concrete?

How would you fix these damaged pieces (all set in concrete)?

This is in the worst damaged flagsone (in a heavy load area):

This is inexplicably just starting to break into pieces:
And, this one, looks like it's going to go the same route:
I'm guessing the way to fix these are to chisel them out, and to chisel out the concrete below them - and then fit a custom-fit piece of the right thickness back into place.

The problem of course is fitting the piece in and cutting all the concrete out.

Is there an easier way to repair these flaws?

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Seems you could find an epoxy filler for that. Color matching would be the tricky part.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Still not possible to ID it but it looks more like silt/sandstone than shale. If you want to know, break off a BB sized piece and chew it up...if it isn't gritty; it is shale; if it is a little bit gritty; siltstone; very gritty, sandstone. Note that I am not being facetious, geologists in the field often do the same.

Reply to
dadiOH

Another solution is to put the sprinkler on a stone joint line and make two semi-circular holes. That should be pretty easy, no special equipment.

Reply to
dadiOH

Very very gritty!

I'm gonna call it sandstone.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Looks like they got cracked and water got in and froze??? If you can find a stone that is a close match that can be cut to fit I'd chip the old one out and replace it. (using thin-set) If not, clean out the hole, etch with acid, and fill the hole with hydraulic cement to seal it up and stabilize it.

Reply to
clare