Question on GFCI combo outlet/switch

I had replaced the light switch in a bathroom with a GFCI combo outlet /switch so that a hair dryer can be used. The feed comes from the vanity light with a 12/3 wire into the switchbox, then continues out from there with a 12/2 to the other circuits. Because the feed comes from the vanity light, it cannot be protected by the GFCI. Right? I don't know if the vanity light has to be protected so it might not matter.

Reply to
Mikepier

The vanity light doesn't need GFCI protection, but I would assume that the red wire of the feed cable, is the return to the light, and if so, you could protect it.

Reply to
RBM

I take that back, it wouldn't work with the one neutral

Reply to
RBM

What you most likely have is the 12/2 is "feeding" the light. The

12/3 is carrying a hot to the switch/GFCI and a neutral to the GFCI The red is switch leg coming back to the light.
Reply to
Terry

No, when I seperated all the wires, I confirmed the 12/3 is the feed coming from the vanity light. I tried to connect the red return wire to the "load" side of the GFI, but it tripped immediately, which made sense since the vanity light's neutral is not GFI protected.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
Terry