Question about electrical work

I had an electrician here yesterday who was supposed to install a wall outlet under my counter, due to switching from electric stove to gas stove, which needs an outlet for the electronic ignition. He did not do that, he unhooked my old electric stove and said when the new gas stove is installed, they can just hard wire into the wires he capped. My question is, is that legal? Will it void my warranty, and would an installer even do it? I'm in CA. TIA

-- Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Not legal. The job was beyond his abilities so he gave you a line...

Doing it right may be involved (read: expensive).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

IMHO:

From the NEC(since I'm not from CA or familar with CA codes), if the manufacture allows for hardwiring, then it dosent violate the NEC or the warranty.

Just a guess, since I'm not there doing the installation, to actually see what your electrician did.

A little advice, ask the electrician when on site, you have his/her ear since you are paying them. A good electrician should have the latest copy of the NEC and local codes in their velhicle.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great

I would be ticked off!

*You* asked him to install an outlet and he did not do this. If he works for a large company, call and tell them what he did. Ask that they send someone else out.

BTW, an electric range uses a big 240 volt outlet. A gas range would use a regular 120 volt outlet. It would be best to have both outlets there for use. Then you or future owners of your house can choose to have a gas or an electric range. Might be a plus if ever selling your house.

So old electric range outlet should stay there and new outlet installed as you requested.

Reply to
Bill

It's a non-issue. You just cap off one of the two hots in the box, (or re-designate it as the nuetral, if there isn't one) swap the 2-pole breaker in the panel for a 1-pole one, at whatever amperage the gas stove wants, and cap off the SAME hot at that end, and wire the new stove into the existing box.

If you go back to an electric range, you just un-cap the extra hot, re-attach the 240V outlet box, and swap the breaker back.

Now if he charged you for running a new circut and didn't, then I'd be annoyed, but the chances are he decided that a whole new circut would be silly, and thinks he explained that to you, and you okayed it.

Reply to
Goedjn

WTF? Hell naw! He is supposed to be an electrician?

I would be PTFO. I take it your stove was hardwired into a 220v line. Either way he should be installing a 120v outlet for your new stove.

How the hell can an electrician suggest the stove delivery or gas company folks install a 120v outlet???

Reply to
dnoyeB

I suppose some insurers may be doing business in Mexico but every time I have had reason to go there I hear you should get a rider. I suppose this is like the extra insurance they sell you on a rental car.

Reply to
Cheri

He said the installer should hard wire it in, but the installer I talked to, said he didn't want to do that. Anyway, I called another electrician, and told him I want an outlet, so he's coming today. Thanks to all who answered.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

The new electrician can just tap the feed for the hood to use for the range ignition outlet, it may be easier that converting the 50 amp electric range feed

Reply to
RBM

And...hopefully...it will have a proper equip grounding conductor :-) Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I don't know what he did, but I think he converted it. I now have a brand new outlet, and he replaced something in the circuit box, so I'm a go. The new electrician did tell me that I definitely wouldn't want it hard wired, even if the installer would do it, because if you need to take the stove out, you have the same headache all over again. Lesson learned.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

The legality is an excellent question as it relates to code. Just before Hurricane Hugo hit the Carolinas, I had a new roof put on my house. The roofer told me he could not wire the roof fans because he was not an electrician. So I did it myself. I seriously doubt that the gas stove delivery guys are electricians!

So this Mickey Mouse electrician did not do what he was paid to do. It's most likely not code - call your local electrical inspector and ask. Then call the electrician back and tell him he needs to finish the job.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Perhaps he put a 20A breaker in place of the larger one used by the stove.

Reply to
Jeff