Putting NM cable underground in conduit

Just wondering if it is legal to the code to put NM romex cable underground when it's inside of plastic conduit. I was going to run individual strands of wire but found it was cheaper to use the ronex and just shove the romex thru which eliminates several connections too. I know it will physically work, but I am not sure what the code says. The conduit is glued and brought above the ground level so it wont fill with water. This is 12-3 w/gnd NM feeding a shed with two

120V 20A circuits

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

It is illegal. The reason is that the conductors in NM are not made for wet locations and any underground conduit is considered a wet location, with I think a few exceptions like maybe deserts. Despite the fact that the sections are glued, I've never opened an underground pipe that wasn't wet

Reply to
RBM

Mark;

In Virginia, it is legal. But you vave to run it through the Grey Schedule 80 Electrical PVC. It also has to be burried below the frost line. You have to have the inspector come out and verify the PVC, Depth and Connections before you cover it up. You should call your city codes department and take their advise over this newsgroup.

Reply to
BSemail2006

Why not dump the NM cable and conduit and go with UF cable and direct burial? I just ran one 15A circuit out to my backyard shed, and that's what I did,

Reply to
J.A. Michel

The conduit is almost a requirement on this farm. This whole place is covered with those damn moles. I dont know if they chew wire or not but they sure are annoying. Maybe I will run UF cable inside the gray PVC though. Out here in the boonies, no one really inspects much of anything but I'd rather have it legal anyhow.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff